We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in AC

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around in AC

My husband and I are staying in Praiano in July. I am coming to regret this as I understand it is a crowded travel time. I am hoping that Praiano will be less congested than Positano or other towns. However, my main concern is getting around along the coast. I do not want to rent a car, and I've heard the buses are crowded, hot and scary! We love to walk but it doesn't seem that this coast is great for long hikes (other than the Path of the Gods, for example).

How does one get from Praiano to other locations along the AC, and is is possible to avoid the buses or the need to rent a car?

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in AC

It will be just as packed - it is the height of high season, so no way around the crowds.

Buses, yes, are usually crowded and sometimes you have to wait for more than one if it can't stop as it is too full.

There is a smallish orange bus that runs between Praiano and Positano; not sure how crowded it does or doesn't get in July.

You may find with the heat that you will want to stay and enjoy your village, swimming in the sea, laying on the rocks/beach and doing usual relaxing seaside sorts of things.

Car services and taxis are available and crazy expensive - If you want to visit Amalfi and Ravello, I'd try to get on a very very early morning bus to Amalfi and then the bus up to Ravello.

I wouldn't rent a car because the traffic is a mess of huge tour buses and you crawl along and parking is so hard to find.

I always stay in Positano because it is my personal favorite of the villages and because I love that they have the ferry there to go Amalfi or Capri, etc.

You'll be fine as long as you know what to expect and be pleasantly surprised if you luck out with an uncrowded bus(es).

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in AC

Thank you for your very quick reply!

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around in AC

Depending on exactly where you're staying in Praiano it is an easy walk (I think it's easy and is no more than 30 minutes) to Marina la Praia where you can catch a boat tour to Capri with La Sibilla (www.lasibilla.org) and you can catch the orange boat to One Fire Beach in the morning (11-ish) and back at 530pm. Keep in mind this walk is along the road (one lane in each direction and very narrow in general) but if you step aside for traffic and mind what you are doing it can be a breeze. I've done it several times. If it's mid-day be sure to take water and wear sunscreen, etc. I would not walk to Positano from Praiano on the road due to distance (see my profile photo taken at the SITA stop at the base of Via Umberto and the SS163 Amalfi Coast road) and numerous hairpin turns. Amalfi from Praiano is a slightly straighter route but again I would not walk.

I like Praiano because it is not chock full of tourists. The SITA buses will be very crowded but as MomCat says the early (and evening) buses can be less crowded. The orange (sometimes red) Flavio Gioia bus runs back and forth between Praiano and Positano at a cost of a euro or so each way with tickets available at various shops including the tabacchi across from San Gennaro church as well as at Bar del Sole in the center of town (on the Vettica Maggiore side of town.) A taxi will run about 16 euro to Positano as well as Amalfi which is just a km or so closer to Praiano than Positano. There is a kindly older gentleman named Gennaro who runs a taxi service in Praiano (and has done so since the 50's…he'll proudly show his vintage photos hanging on the wall of his garage) located between Bar del Sole and the tourist office across from San Gennaro church. Speak with him about where you'd like to go and discuss his price…you should be able to work out a satisfactory deal.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 10 July 2014, 06:15
United States
Level Contributor
307 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around in AC

I wonder if taking the little orange Praiano-Positano loop bus to Positano & then getting on a ferry to Amalfi, Capri, etc. isn't the easier way to "village hop" from Praiano at that time of year. The little orange bus has been relatively easy (easier than I hear of the sita) for me to take to & from in the past. But I never lined up ferry departures with it. I'm curious to know if anyone has any thoughts on this strategy?

For what it's worth, I have been told that you can catch a water taxi ride to Amalfi or other villages from Marina di Praia in Praiano. There isn't an advance planner website to reference, you just have to go & see, and/or ask around because Praiano is a smaller town. If a smaller town is your biggest priority then forget your second thoughts, Praiano is perfect. If visiting other villages is your main goal then you might reconsider depending on the rules of your current reservations.

Praiano will give you all the beauty, charm & good food that you need. It's just not the best transportation hub. That's also part of why it's less touristy, so take the good with the bad. If you have one specific place you want to see (say Ravello) then splurge for a driver, save the great info from the post above. Positano is the easiest village to get to & from Praiano. The other direction is a bit more involved.

Above all - don't fret, it's all beautiful & there is no lack luster town. It's all a dream. I've never felt a burning need to go or be anywhere other than exactly where I'm at any given time while on the AC. That's the very nature of the AC to me personally, it puts me in a zone of no "want" for anything. That's basically magic in my book :)

5. Re: Getting around in AC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17