We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

I will be travelling from Rome to Amalfi on July 16th this summer for 4 nights. I've been trying to research the easiest way to get to Amalfi without spending a ton of money. Myself and my finacee will have Eurorail passes, so we intend on taking the train for the bulk of the trip. the question is where should we take the train to? I've heard Salerno is the closest train station? How long of a trip is it from Rome to Salerno? is there a direct train or will we have to get off and switch? we will probably have one big piece of luggage each so I'd prefer not to take the bus as it was probably be packed. I've noticed that private drivers range from abou 75 to 120 Euros per trip from Salerno, has anyone done this before, any tips??

- Please if you have any advice on the easiest fastest way of travelling to Amalfi from Rome, let me know

Thanks!

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

Hi Richie -

Two years ago my wife and I traveled by train to Amalfi from Florence via Rome on our honeymoon. The train trip from Rome was probably 2 1/2 hours?

We took the train to Salerno and then the bus (which picks up at the train station) from Salerno to Amalfi. Not sure where you are staying in Amalfi, but the bus stopped right in front of Hotel Luna Convento, as well as "downtown" Amalfi. If I remember correctly the bus ride is about 1:15 - 1:30 long and is incredibly cheap compared to hiring a private driver. Also, if traveling during the daytime the drive up the Amalfi Coast is very scenic.

I just did a quick search on trenitalia.com for Rome to Salerno for a day this week and there seems to be a decent number of direct trains.

Hope this helps.

Mike

2. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2007, 14:04
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

Taking a private driver for at least part of the trip (say, from Naples to Amalfi) is indeed the easiest way to go. But a driver taking you from Naples to Amalfi is probably going to cost you 100 euros.

Take the train to Salerno. SITA buses leave every hour from there for Amalfi. There's a cafe in the station where you can kill time, if you need to. There is an external luggage compartment by the front door of the bus and the driver will likely insist that you use it. Amalfi is the last stop on the route, so you won't have to worry about knowing when to get off.

You'll have to buy a bus ticket in the station first - look for the tourist information office, as they sell them.

When I was there recently, I heard a couple talking with a taxi driver about how much it would cost for him to take them to Ravello - I think he said 50 euros. It would think it would be about the same amount for Amalfi.

Hope this helps.

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

If the SITA bus at Salerno is too crowded, you can walk straight out of the square 2 blocks, bear right, and past the carpark, to the boats for Amalfi. The landing in Amalfi is right behind the bus park, level ground. The boats charge for taking luggage, but free for the bus.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

Dear Richie999,

If you didn't want to use your Eurail pass for one day, you could take a Marozzi Bus from Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station on Mon Jul 16 at 7am to arrive at Piazza Flavio in Amalfi at 12noon. You'd need to buy tickets the day before from the Marozzi ticket window in Roma Tiburtina FS Train Station and a ticket might cost up to €26 a person:

http://www.marozzivt.it/

For SITA bus from Salerno to Amalfi it's €1.80 for an E3 ticket which can be purchased from the newsstand or ticket windows 1-5 at the Salerno FS Train Station. As mentioned, the SITA bus stop for Amalfi is right in front of the Salerno FS Train Station on the cement island.

I love the ferries to Amalfi from Salerno Porto Masuccio/Porto Turistico as they're fast and the ride scenic(we took one last Sun). By July, they'll put up the tented area and benches to make the wait more comfortable. It's €1.50 per luggage:

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

By the ways, the bad part about the Salerno FS Train Station is that you need to carry your luggage down a flight of stairs. The bad part about Napoli Piazza Garibaldi FS Train Station is that you need to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs and then up the escalators to reach Napoli Centrale FS Train Station.

As mentioned, it's usually faster to take a private driver from Napoli Centrale FS Train Station to Amalfi. From Napoli Centrale, it's around a 20-30 minute train ride to Salerno and if you use a private driver, that 30 minutes or so could be applied to your trip. With a private driver from Salerno, I'm pretty sure you'd pay less, however, because the distance is shorter than it would be if you had left from Napoli Centrale.

When travelling in mid-July, it's more comfortable to take an ES Eurostar or ICPlus InterCity Plus train down to Salerno as the general traffic jam buildup occurs from Roma/Napoli toward Sorrento/Positano and down to Palinuro. You might think about bringing water, a hat, sunglasses, and sunblock for the trip down to Amalfi in general.

Buona Fortuna...

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

Thank you everybody for your help!

I've found out that there is a direct train to Salerno from Rome (thanks to your help), which I think I am going to take. Form the sounds of it, the water transport would probably be the fastest way an a lot cheaper then hiring a driver, my only concern is how far away the marina is from the Salerno train station?

Would you experienced Amalfi Coasters say that the view more scenic from the water, or from the roads?

I've heard so much about these crazy Amalfi roads and am wondering if they are a "must see" while i am there. Also, what are your feelings on renting a scooter in Amalfi to cruise over to Positano? We will be making day trips while staying in Amalfi.

Many Thanks

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

The ferry dock is only a couple of blocks away from Salerno Station and the boat trip is a vewry nice introduction to the Amalfi Coast

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

You can take the bus from Amalfi to Sorrento (Via Postiano) which is probably the most scenic stretch of road

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

Thanks again everybody for all of yoru help.... I think we're going to take the boat service from Salerno....

Just following up with the scooter question. Has anybody ever driven from Amalfi to Positano on a rented scooter? would you suggest it? are they expensive to rent?

I might have to post this is another forum but I fiugred I'd try here first

Thanks!

Bergen op Zoom, The...
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Amalfi from Rome...Train, bus, ferry, driver ???

I am also going to Amalfi next month, but will come from Siena (after touring a few cities in Tuscany). So my plan is to take the train to Naples (stopover in Florence), stay there for one day/night and then take the ferry from Naples to Amalfi. I found there is a ferry service from Naples that stops at a lot of places along the coast, including Salerno and Amalfi. It takes about two hours from Naples to Amalfi, but I love being on a ferry and you'll get to see something (I hope).

To find the timetable and prices:

http://www.metrodelmare.com/

You can also check the national train site for timetable, duration and lines: www.trenitalia.com (in English). I used this site to plan all of my transportation to find the best lines, as there are several types of trains you can choose from.