We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere special please

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere special please

I am looking at three very special hotels and would very much appreciate your thoughts and comments on location, service, restaurants and ambiance.

1. Hotel Santa Caterina, Amafi.

2. Hotel Palazzo Sasso, Ravello.

3. Hotel il San Pietro, Positano.

In all probability we would be hoping to stay for fourteen nights from the middle of September and during the holiday we would expect to take day trips, but the hotel is of extreme importance to us.

I have, as always, done my homework and checked the reviews and wonder if any one of the above hotels has the edge over the other two.

I really would be most grateful for any advice as they all sound so beautiful and I am having great difficulty in choosing between them.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
984 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere special please

Having spent 14 nights at Il San Pietro you could say I'm biased.

Ravello is too quite and too far (high up) from the sea. Staying there for more than 2 nights would drive me nuts. Santa Caterina doesn't really belong in this category, IMHO, so my choice is obvious (to me, at least) :-).

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere special please

Thank you for your reply. I am just a little concerned about a couple of the reports on this forum concerning Il San Pietro and was pleased to read that you have had no problems.

With regard to Ravello, Palazzo Sasso has a beach club with restaurant, pool and full service down by the shore, but I take your point about the town being rather high up and away from the coast.

I was also interested to read that you do not consider the Santa Caterina to be in the same category as the other two hotels.

I am leaning towards Il San Pietro because we very often stay at Relais & Chateaux hotels, as we prefer a hotel with the owner on site and not just a manager as service is extremely important to us.

Any other advice you can give me concerning the rooms at Il San Pietro would be gratefully received.

Kind regards from the South West of England.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere special please

Santa Caterina is a beautiful hotel with beautiful views, but positioned right off the main road in the city of Amalfi. About 1 step down in service. Palazzo Sasso is perched high up in Ravello, A beautiful spot, but not as well located as your other choices.

You did not mention Le Sirenuse in Positano. It is a Relais and Chateau and a magnificent property. I prefer the location of Le Sirenuse much better to that of Il San Pietro. The same caliber of service, but the town is Positano is available to you without driving. Il San Pietro requires transportation to leave the hotel. It is located between the Amalfi towns.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere special please

Thank you for your reply. I had initially discounted Le Sirenuse for one reason only, that being the fact that I do not believe that it has access to the seashore and only a small swimming pool. I do like to swim and Il San Pietro has a private beach, as has Palazzo Sasso, with its beach club Sasso by the Sea. Other than that one reason I loved the look of Le Sirenuse and I know that its position is perfect in Positano.

Il San Pietro has a 24 hour complimentary minibus which takes you to and from the centre of Positano, which sounds good and I would hope that it delivers as stated.

Thank you for your thoughts on Santa Caterina and its service not being on the same level as the other hotels, a deal breaker for me.

Kind regards and again many thanks for your post.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
984 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere special please

If you like to swim, then Il San Pietro is your only choice, with their private beach and sunbathing platform, both accessible to hotel guests only.

Sure, you could do Le Sirenuse and just do with going down to the public beach or using their incredibly tiny pool which shares its space with their main restaurant. When I say that, I literally mean it's 4 steps away from the dining tables. Seriously. But in all fairness, it's a very nice restaurant, with great food & service, but that's where our exposure to Le Sirenuse stops as we like to have more privacy, more property and more sea :-).

You did do your homework well. ISP's shuttles runs on YOUR schedule and takes 5 minutes (timed it) to get from ISP to Positano.

What would you like to know about the rooms? All of them have sea view and come with a balcony or terrace, depending on the room category.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere special please

Thank you for coming back to me. My very upmarket travel consultants have stopped booking with il San Pietro because they are finding it very difficult to get the rooms they want. I am not sure what this is telling me.

Would I find the hotel is full of Americans, not a problem as far as I am concerned. I am being told that Ravello is much more of a typical Italian town and that the Palazzo Sasso's beach club, near Amalfi is only ten/fifteen minutes away from the hotel and is fabulous. This is a huge plus.

Now I have even more of a dilemma.

What will probably swing it for me is the accommodation on offer and I would be most grateful if you could advise me which category of room you would recommend at ISP, we would like a seaview with a balcony or terrace.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Again, many thanks in anticipation.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 14:03
Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere special please

I will add 1 comment about Palazzo Sasso and Ravello. It is small and very quiet. Amazing views from many locations. PS has a suite with a walk-out veranda that is so amazing, it takes your breathe away. The views are simply amazing.

Ravello has some nice trattorias also. Great ceramic shopping.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere special please

queeni- thank you for your reply. I am in the midst of getting quotes for Palazzo Sasso and Il San Pietro, but my travel consultants, who know our preferences well, are convinced that Ravello is the better option for us, quiet and supremely elegant and I must say that the hotel looks so beautiful. We will wish to do the trips to Pompeii and Herculaneum and Paestum, which are easy from Ravello on the main road away from the coast and as long as I can swim at the beach club I am beginning to think this is probably the correct fit for us. I must say it was the premier hotel on my list before I started looking into the others.

Also as you say, the trattorias are getting great reviews. Lovely as a 2star Michelin restaurant is, we really would not wish to eat there every evening as we do love the authentic local restaurants as well. Another pull is the music festival, which I need to look into.

Any information gratefully received.

Kind regards.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere special please

2 suggestions for local dining would be Cumpa Cosimo and Villa Maria, both in Ravello. The Hotel Palumbo has a vine covered terrace and patio where outside lunch is served. The view overlooks the Amalfi Coast and is just breathtaking.

There is a fabulous pottery store neas Cumpa Cosim that shops all over the world. I wish I could remember the name of it, but just can't. Sorry!!

milano
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere special please

Ravello is definately worth the visit. but i wouldn't spend 2 two weeks up there (Ravello is not on the sea, and you have to foresee at least a 30 min drive to go down to Amalfi or San Cosma).

Last year I stayed at San Pietro in Positano for my 20th wedding anniversary, I found the hotel to be near to perfection and its restaurant is even better!

I dont know the exact period of your stay, but if you can try and postpone it to the second half of september: still lovely weather but much less people around.

Rent a car and do visit the region. Day trips from Positano to Capri and Ischia by boat are highly recommended as well.