We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

Minnesota
11 posts
Save Topic
Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

We have a group of 4 of us (2 couples in early 30's) headed to Italy. We have one floater night and I am trying to convince the clan that the Amalfi coast is where we should spend it.

I would love insights on things to do, attractions to see (Etc). Also, we were thinking of staying in Amalfi and/or Positano. We would like some night life, and want to be able to walk most places. Where would you recommend? Any particular hotels?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

The Amalfi coast is very spectacular, and the towns are connected by Sitabus from Sorrento to Salerno. In five days you can visit the islands of Capri and Ischia by ferry, Pompeii Scavi take the www.vesuviana.it train from Sorrento, also a trip upto Ravello from Amalfi.

www.amalficoastweb.com

www.venere.com

Edited: 06 May 2010, 05:21
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Island of Capri
Island of Capri
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Pompeii
Pompeii
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Melbourne
Level Contributor
218 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

You would be correct.

Beg, cajole, co-erce, bribe, do whatever you have to, you'll love it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

5 days isn't enough!! So many things to see and do, you won't want to leave.

Enjoy visiting the towns of the Amalfi Coast, Ravello in particular is amazing (they say its so high you can touch the clouds, well nearly!), Pompeii and Ercolano sites plus Paestum, take a trip to the islands, maybe a trip to Naples if you like chaotic, mad cities and the Archealogical Museum has many artefacts from Pompeii.

I would choose either Positano or Amalfi from your choice. They are not far from each other.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Ercolano
Ercolano
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Naples
Naples
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Minnesota
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

Great, thank you so much! Also, we are looking for a place to stay that is reasonably priced and are more concerned about being in a good location than being in a fancy hotel. Any suggestions? I would estimate our budget to be around $200 a night.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

Hi

We spent 8 days in Positano last year and can highly recommend it. 8 days werent enough to visit all the places we wanted to see. We will return fror 7 nights this year.

Positano when the day tourists leave is lovely and the views are spectacular and lots of very nice resturants.

Location and number of stairs is the main concern in Positano.

Some of the hotels can be 100 or more very steep stairs up or down from the main road and doing this 3 times a day and with your luggage can be a problem.

This is where we will stay this year.

It is in a good location about 30 mins downhill stroll to the main village, bus stop almost outside the door, next to the grocer and wine shop and near to quite a few resturants if you dont want to go down to the main village.

It is family owned by an english guy and his italian wife. There are 4 b & b rooms with a shared balcony, and a full size fridge and coffee facilites in each room for 95 euro a double and also studio apartments with their own terrace, but not sure of the rate.

The photos dont really do it justice. It isnt luxury as some of the 1000euro plus hotels are in Positano but very italian and very charming and comfortable. Only 11 stairs.

www.casamaresca.it

We are in our 60/70's so clean, comfortable accomadation with a fridge for our vino, a view and not too many stairs is what is important to us.

If i can help with any other information please ask

Janderra

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Minnesota
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

I am wondering if you can tell me if there is a main street or area with restaurants (etc) that we should stay close to Positano? I am seeing most places have a great view, but we would love to be able to walk to dinner, grab a glass of wine (etc)? We are two couples in our late 20's. Just want to make sure aren't too far from the action.

Thanks much!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

Positano is small so you are never too far away - although if you stay up the hill, you'll be walking down to a restaurant and wine and back up afterwards!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

Hi Italyatlast,

As I have said before one of the main tricks to a successful stay in Positano is all about location. Positano is very small but the cliffs are steep and so are all the stairs to the accomadation. I mean really steep.

On the beach area where the ferries come in, is seen as the main town and there are lots of resturants there, but the hotels in this area are very very expensive and so too are most of the resturants.

From there you have 40 stairs (I counted with the luggage) and a gradual slope up to the main square where are shops etc.

The small local bus leaves from here for 1.50euro and runs up the hill towards Amalfi (not sure if it is north or south) and there are a lot of hotels along this hill (not so many resturants). A lot of the expensive hotels are along this stretch like the Sirenese (the most expensive I think). So if you see the Sirenese on a map then you get your bearings. Then the bus continues to the top of the hill, turns in the opposite direction towards Sorrento and runs along the top of the cliffs (some hotels here like the Eden Roc, but I personally feel they are a bit far away) then turns left and runs down the hill past Fornillo and the grotto stops and eventually ends up back at the main square.

The b & b I mentioned before Casa Maresca is between the Grotto/Fornillo stop and the main square. All along that stretch there are quite a lot of very reasonably priced resturants. Casa Maresca is right opposite Next resturant, a bus stop nearby, near a small deli/wine shop/groceryshop/fruit shop. It has a bus stop a few steps away, and the main thing only 11 stairs down from the main road to the b & B. They also have studio apartments for 100euro. The location is great, in fact I believe that anywhere along the stretch from Fornillo to the main square is a great location as there are many resturants to choose from and it is about a 25 min leisurely stroll down to the main square, bank etc. It will take you longer going back believe me as the hill is steep.

However we always used the bus and it runs until about midnight, so if you want to go to a resturant a bit further away you can always get the bus home.

We were always going to go and have dinner at a resturant on the beach but never got there, always the thought of the 40 stairs up to the main square after a few wines.

A lot of people stay at Priano a small village a bit further along towards Amalfi but for us Positano has a nice buzz and especially in the evenings when the day trippers are gone it is lovely in the resturants.

Hope this has helped to clarify Positano a bit. If you are thinking of any special hotel, perhaps I can help clarify where it is in location to the main town. Most of the hotels list the same street name, unfortunately that street goes for miles all up hill. Ask about how many stairs to the hotel and to the room, as believe me 100 or so stairs 3 times or more a day, plus the stairs to the beach, ferries etc get tiring no matter how fit you are.

Last time we actually stayed at Fornillo and our b & b was down a number of stairs, luckily only about 1 quarter of the way down, with luggage, but there were people that we saw go down and down and down.

Someone told me there were over 300 stairs to some of the hotels near the bottom close to Fornillo beach.

I wish that we had this information when we booked last year. One last tip if you use the ferry there is a porter service that will carry, haul (I saw them bring some up on ropes from some hotels to the road), drive and then carry your luggage to the ferry or vice versa for 7.50euro a suitcase. We only found out when we left but the best 15 euro we ever spent.

Janderra

Mentioned in this post
Fornillo
Fornillo
964 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hotel Eden Roc
Hotel Eden Roc
1,518 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Casa Maresca
Casa Maresca
137 Reviews
Positano, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,606 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

There are restaurants throughout Positano and it is so tiny that you will have no difficulty - if you cannot walk up 40 steps after dinner, you will have rough time in Positano because there are far more steps than that everywhere. I take the steps very slowly after I have had some wine but I always make it just fine and since I'm on vacation I'm not in a rush anyway.

There are some hotels along Via Pasitea (the only main road in Positano) that you can enter into right off the

road - and then also be able to catch the little internal bus that circles inside the village as described above.

You don't need to go to down to the beach level area to have a good meal or a good view while in a restaurant - there are many right along Via Pasitea and elsewhere.

I prefer the Fornillo beach as it is away from the main square harbor (which is also very tiny) and does have the big ferries coming to the beach - it just seems less touristy. Last Fall, I saw more Italians on that beach than any other nationality. There is also a nice restaurant right there that is very affordable with good food. It is associated with the Hotel Pupetto, which is a very basic hotel in one of the best locations in Positano (in my opinion).

If you stay at the Hotel Vittorio you can take an elevator all the way down to the level right next to the Pupetto's entrance and the beach.

Even if you don't stay at Hotel Vittorio you can pay to rent your beach chair from them for the day and they will let you use the two elevators to reach the beach - believe me, a great deal given the stairs you avoid going and coming.

Hotel Vittorio is off Via Pasitea, probably about 100 steps down until the entrance - but, the beauty of this place is is that once you get to use the elevators and get to beach level, if you turn left after the second elevator instead of right, you will wind up on a beautiful pathway that is just a bit above the water and leads you right tot he main beach and town without steps....that is a real benefit. It takes about 8 minutes to walk there and it is a gorgeous walk.

Couple hotel suggestions: Villa Gabrisa

http://www.villagabrisa.it/

This is on Via Pasitea. Google their address and a map will show up and show you where the hotel is located.

You can also check Hotel Vittorio and Hotel Pupetto - I've stayed at Hotel Vittorio and it is, as I said, basic but has a balcony and/or terrace and good views. And, a nice breakfast with a terrific fellow who will make you delicious cappuccinos all day long if you ask him.

Mentioned in this post
Fornillo
Fornillo
964 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Hotel Pupetto
Hotel Pupetto
478 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Hotel Vittorio
Hotel Vittorio
484 Reviews
Isola d'Ischia, Italy
10. Re: Help me convince 5 days isn't too much

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 07:45