We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

Boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

Family of 4 staying in Piano July- day 1 committed to Vesuvius-ruins, day 2 -Capri, last day -AC. Favoring itinerary found on TA: bus Sorrento-Positano; ferry P.-Amalfi; bus A.-Ravello; foot R.-Amalfi whence bus/ ferry back to Sorrento/ Piano(?). After I'm duly scolded for daring a 1-day itinerary, any advice please for blessing, tweaking, altering it and re meal stops. Sites for schedules of the transportation options? Grazie.

Sorrento First Choice Car Service
Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Amalfi Transfer
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Simply Amalfi  Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

I hope brit-in-ischia sees this, because you're really going to need those bus and ferry schedules.... I've never done the bit Ravello to Amalfi on foot and wonder how long that would take....and you also need a plan B, just in case there's any reason for non arrival of buses/ferries - there's only one road out of the area, and if there's an accident or a rock fall, you might find there's a problem.... again, if there's a summer storm, and the ferries get stopped.... you need an alternative way of getting around / back !

If you want the ferry experience, I would suggest doing Sorrento to Amalfi first by ferry, then up to R on the bus, then the foot bit (if necessary !) then down to Positano on the bus and catch the next one back to Sorrento..... But, the choice is yours, as they say !

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

Personally I prefer to get to somewhere the easiest way possible, and then make the day out of the journey back - and I'd head to Ravello by sea, and take the land route home.

And if it were me I'd be thinking of the Metro del Mare, which they say is this year visiting the marina at Piano di Sorrento for the first time... its Napoli Costiere service leaves at 09:35, and gets to Amalfi at 10:55.

http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari.pdf

(You could maybe write a note or two about exactly where they stop at Piano, when you get back?)

Then I'd take a SITA bus up to Ravello

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROVII.pdf

sitabus.it/sitabus/…QUADROXV.pdf

For more SITA bus timetables, start here and click on the place name - some, like Ravello, have more than one sheet...

www.sitabus.it/wps/portal/OrariCampaniaIndice

See what I mean?

There may well be other small bus firms in some of the areas you'll pass through, but I've no idea about those - however the main companies have produced these maps which may be of some use...

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

For Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast information, you may like to download the useful 'Travel Directory' from the official tourist site (though, as it's a couple of years old now, do crosscheck times, prices etc!), here...

http://www.costiera.it/weben/index.htm

Peter

PS - For future reference, I really don't take very well to being volunteered - it seems against the spirit of the site!

Trust it's not going to happen regularly?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

Sorry, Peter, I wasn't volunteering you - just hoping you would see the post..... because you've been so good at supplying info about the ferry services before.... and you've been recently appearing on the site with the Ali Lauro schedules....

Forgive me if I 'presumed too much'.... !

Riverisco.... as they say in Italy - and bow to your superior knowledge....

Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

Beaubello - your day sounds great. I would do that with our kids if we had only one day. The advantage of the bus to Positano and ferry from Positano to Amalfi is that you walk downhill through Positano and can enjoy the beautiful setting.

We walked down from Ravello to Amalfi (go via the Atrani route as it keeps you off the road completely) when our daughters were 7 and 11 - the distance isn't far at all and it's completely wonderful in every regard.

Enjoy.

Boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

TA is the bestia!! With a very imminent dept from home I was already fearing that I might had fatally procrastinated the details of this itinerary before alas your saving light.

Nolana, your point re plan B is well taken especially with everything riding on one day's clockwork. Even gets me wondering whether this day trip would be better placed instead on the previous day and the Capri excursion switched to our last day as a safer bet to put us comfortably back at the hotel the nite before an early trip to Naples airport. (??)

Bravo, Peter. Any presumption/ riverizione on Nolana's part notwithstanding, I'm hugely grateful you did jump in. Your links will provide the sine-qua-non info on which the itinerary must ultimately be set. I'll be sure to report back after the trip.

Ciao again TXstrips, we've come full circle. It was one of your threads I was referring to, "itinerary found on TA". Is there pretty much one(obvious?) Ravello-Atrani path? About how long should it take at a leisurely pace smelling the roses?

Boston
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

TA is the bestia!! With a very imminent dept from home I was already fearing that I might had fatally procrastinated the details of this itinerary before alas your saving light.

Nolana, your point re plan B is well taken especially with everything riding on one day's clockwork. Even gets me wondering whether this day trip would be better placed instead on the previous day and the Capri excursion switched to our last day as a safer bet to put us comfortably back at the hotel the nite before an early trip to Naples airport. (??)

Bravo, Peter. Any presumption/ riverizione on Nolana's part notwithstanding, I'm hugely grateful you did jump in. Your links will provide the sine-qua-non info on which the itinerary must ultimately be set. I'll be sure to report back after the trip.

Ciao again TXstrips, we've come full circle. It was one of your threads I was referring to, "itinerary found on TA". Is there pretty much one(obvious?) Ravello-Atrani path? About how long should it take at a leisurely pace smelling the roses?

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

We walked from Ravello back to Amalfi via Atrani. Probably not more than 1.5 hours leisurely walking. We visited the gardens at Villa Cimbrone on our way out of Ravello and there is a path signposted on the right before you reach the villa. I did see some other signs but we were using this book

http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/sorrento.htm

so I didn't take much notice! From Atrani you go along through narrow alleys from the main square by a postbox.

You can probably pick up a walks leaflet from the tourist offices. Its a lovely walk with great views, a bit of a steep downhill bit (steps) just before Atrani but otherwise easy. Have a great time! For us the walk was the best bit about the Amalfi Coast - don't miss the cathedral in Amalfi though.

8. Re: Amalfi Coast by bus-boat, 1-day itinerary feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:16