We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
GC, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Hi! My soon to be husband and I will be spending our honeymoon in southern Italy/Amalfi coastline for 2 weeks. We will be going to a wedding in Ravello in the middle of that 2 weeks - from what I've been told so far, we are interested in staying at Positano, Amalfi and Capri. Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to stay in, or are these the best 3 options?

Thank you!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and best wishes to the both of you, When will you be going to the Amalfi Coast? Given that you will be there for so long (really, having been there several times, 2 weeks is a long time in that area), I would consider spending a few days in another area (e.g., Rome) or, if that is not possible, then basing yourself in 2 different cities (e.g., Amalfi for 1 week and Sorrento for another week). What do you want to do during the honeymoon (other than the normal honeymoon activities)?

GC, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Thanks for your reply and your kind words ATL Travelling!

Because the wedding is right in the middle of our holiday, it makes it a little difficult to work around, as we need to be there a day or 2 before and after it.

We arrive on the 2nd of Sept, with 5 - 6 nights before we need to be at Amalfi. Then we have about 4 nights after the wedding. We'd like to spend the last half relaxing - but it sounds like that's what the Amalfi coast is all about anyway which is great! Both of us have been to Rome before, so don't necessarily need to go again when there's other places we haven't been to before (as much as we loved it!).

Do you think it's worth staying overnight in Capri?

Edited: 15 July 2010, 11:41
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

www.hotelsantacaterina.it my fav...

Capri too dodgy touristic hotels not worth an overnite...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Come to the island of Ischia for a few days before Amalfi - with some 300 hotels all told, there's bound to be somewhere you like, and we have on the beaches not stones!

2nd of September is about when our patron saint's festa begins...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ischfest

More about Ischia....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

And if you're feeling like a wander, these are some of the places that make interesting daytrips..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscdaytrips

Then, when you're ready to move on, there's a convenient boat you can catch at 16:20 any afternoon...

lauroweb.com/orariotariffe/partenzealicost20…

Peter

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Sounds like a great time White Dove. Given that you really are sort of pinned down by the itinerary and really sound like you want to chill out and relax, then you ought to consider the road less traveled on the front end suggested by Brit in Ischia and then the last 6 to 10 nights in Amalfi and Ravello (depending on the schedule you may want to actual split your stay between the two to gut down on commuting (although I would normally advise you to stay in destinations that are further apart). From Amalfi, you can easily get to any place you want to go in the area via your own car or on public transport. The beauty of going to Ischia (in addition to it bein a very nice place I am sure) is that it sounds great, far fewer people go to it and it will give you relaxation time which you will need.

GC, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Thanks to both of you for your advice - much appreciated!

We are now considering popping up to Venice for 2 nights when we first fly into Rome, and then heading down south. I thought this might be a little bit different scenery to the other places in the Amalfi area. I will also have a look into Ischia as suggested.

Do you recommend hiring a car or catching a train to get between Rome and the other destinations?

Thanks again!

7. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 12:11
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Train will do just fine and are plentiful.

Kent
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

May I add a few words of warning regarding bookings direct with owners or agents of vacation rentals.

There are a number of owner rentals available in the Sorrento/Amalfi area where the owner requires a 25% deposit and the full payment 60 days before you are due to travel. Should you be forced to change your plans then you will have lost the 25% deposit or even the full payment.

Some of these apartments are advertised as being really classy places but feedback shows that some have been poorly renovated with badly fitting doors and windows that let rain in. Some have poorly equipped kitchens which do not really support self catering.

I have had a problem with an apartment costing Euros 1300 for a week in November. I booked with the agent via direct email and PayPal back in April, but when I had to cancel 88 days before the rental was due start they used a website Terms and Conditions as justification to refuse any refund start.

On previous trips I have booked via Booking.com or similar where you have the possibility to cancel without losing money. I should have followed my own advice this time, I will in future.

If you would like any, more information on this topic please send me a message. Good luck with your holiday

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,543 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best towns to stay at in the Amalfi area??

Especially when renting an apartment having excellent travel insurance is very important. I never travel anywhere without it any longer as prices are so much higher these days and anything prepaid could lose one a lot of money.

I personally think it is the second most important purchase (second to the airline ticket) when planning a trip and I buy it immediately after I buy my plane ticket. Best investment.