We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
12 posts
Save Topic
Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

Which of these cities would you recommend would be the best to stay in as a base for people who are looking for easy transport, good night options (food/bars) and beauty? Will be staying for 5 days but want to be in one city for the hotel.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

All three have easy transport - Amalfi and Sorrento perhaps a little better than Positano. What type of daytrips are you looking to do? For daytripping to Naples, Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum Sorrento is best. Capri is easily reachable from all 3. If you simply want to see the other towns on the coast, then Positano or Amalfi fit the bill.

Positano and Amalfi are smaller towns relative to Sorrento and during the day they are jammed with daytripping tourists, especially if there is a cruise ship docked off of Amalfi. At night, however, is when you really see these towns shine for what they are. In Amalfi, the locals congregate in the town square and down by the waterfront amongst the visitors that are actually staying in town.

So if you are looking for an active nightlife then choose Sorrento. If it's intimate and cozy you are after - then Positano or Amalfi,

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

Also, this question has been asked a ton of times and just do a search on the 3 villages names in the Amalfi Coast forum and you will see a myriad of opinions. Personally, the previous poster nailed it on the head, but then it does depend on more specifically what you want to see from a transport standpoint perhaps.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

I would not say Sorrento has an active nightlife , but maybe more so than the others,

Sorrento does have a lot to offer and better transport links,

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
220 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

<<Positano and Amalfi are smaller towns relative to Sorrento and during the day they are jammed with daytripping tourists, especially if there is a cruise ship docked off of Amalfi.>>

I thought I read somewhere that either Positano or Amalfi had no motorized traffic (i.e., no tour busses, thus less tourists), except for one street. Am I not remembering correctly?

bert

Edited: 29 July 2010, 20:23
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

The Amalfi Coast road flows through both towns, and with Amalfi being a Sita bus hub, you will find tour buses parked in the bus loading/unloading area. Also, tourists use the Sita bus service to visit towns up and down the coast. Add to that the people arriving via ferry and from cruise ships and you end up with a lot of tourists during the day.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

Michael is right, but those tourist crowds never seem to bother me in Amalfi as much as they do in Venice, Florence, or San Gimignano (amongst a few).

7. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 12:11
Kent
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

May I add a few words of warning regarding bookings direct with owners or agents of vacation rentals.

There are a number of owner rentals available in the Sorrento/Amalfi area where the owner requires a 25% deposit and the full payment 60 days before you are due to travel. Should you be forced to change your plans then you will have lost the 25% deposit or even the full payment.

Some of these apartments are advertised as being really classy places but feedback shows that some have been poorly renovated with badly fitting doors and windows that let rain in. Some have poorly equipped kitchens which do not really support self catering.

I have had a problem with an apartment costing Euros 1300 for a week in November. I booked with the agent via direct email and PayPal back in April, but when I had to cancel 88 days before the rental was due start they used a website Terms and Conditions as justification to refuse any refund start.

On previous trips I have booked via Booking.com or similar where you have the possibility to cancel without losing money. I should have followed my own advice this time, I will in future.

If you would like any, more information on this topic please send me a message. Good luck with your holiday.

9. Re: Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:17