We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

Hi there!

My husband and I are driving to the Amalfi coast from Rome for 3 nights in July this year.

We've been recommended to stay in Naples and use that as a base to see Pompeii/Vesuvius and beyond.

I don't really know whether to follow this advice, or what to do!

We'd appreciate any advice!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

Naples is a fascinating city, full of bustle and life, with loads of extraordinary things to see and do - amongst them...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

However it's not what most people would call a holiday resort and - while handy for Pompei and Vesuvius - the Amalfi Coast is a bit more awkward to get to...

If you'll excuse the cut and paste, perhaps I can offer you a few leaflets etc that may help with the "where to stay" decision?

There's lots of Naples "what's on" information (and the answers to a host of "How do I...?" questions) in the 'Qui Napoli' magazine which the tourism people bring out every two months. Mostly it's in bilingual English/Italian - and a PDF version is available by clicking on the word "download" here....

http://www.inaples.it/eng/quinapoli.htm

High time it was updated (so do crosscheck the times, prices etc!), but for more about the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast, you may like to download the useful 'Travel Directory' from the official tourism website, here...

http://www.costiera.it/weben/index.htm

And re the towns and villages around Vesuvius, a 100+ page "Discovering Vesuvius" leaflet here....

http://www.costadelvesuvio.com/brocure.pdf

(Again, from January 2009, so do crosscheck specific details, and watch out for outdated references... such as to “Vesuviana Mobilità", the former operators of buses to Mount Vesuvius, and to old route numbers once used by the Metro del Mare!)

Lastly, these come from a series financed by the Regione of Campania a few years back - which, for whatever reason, now seem to be available only from the local B&B operators' website. There are some overlaps: the first is a general overview of Naples and Campania, the others are probably self-explanatory?

www.bb-napoli.com/english/naplesguide.pdf

http://www.bb-napoli.com/english/seaguide.pdf

www.bb-napoli.com/english/sorrentoguide.pdf

bb-napoli.com/english/amalficoastguide.pdf

www.bb-napoli.com/english/vesuviusguide.pdf

bb-napoli.com/english/archaelogy-art-guide.p…

bb-napoli.com/english/specialities-guide.pdf

Probably that's Sunday written off!

Peter

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

Hi,

Another suggestion:

Have you thought of staying on the Amalfi Coast ?

I enjoyed staying at Praiano a stunning coastal village. Driving along the Amalfi Coast is definitely not easy as the roads are narrow & windy ~! Parking can be a real hassle. You would need to look for a hotel with car-parking.

You can also catch a day ferry cruise / tour to Capri & Positano from Praiano & take in the magnificent views.

www.ondaverde.it/

However; you can also catch the SITA local blue buses which run along the coast to other towns & leave the car behind.

Amalfi (7 Km), Positano (7 Km), Ravello (13 Km.), Sorrento (20Km

Edited: 13 February 2011, 12:01
Auckland
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

Thank you so much for your help - such a wealth of information that I have devoured and stored away for the future!

So we are now thinking of staying in Amalfi, and perhaps visiting Naples... although we do have a car. What do you think of this plan?

Someone adivsed me that Naples is the busy, exciting city centre, whereas Amalfi is the sleepy hollow town... what do you think of this?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

You should do some reading on the Amalfi Coast and look at photographs - these are small, beautiful seaside villages - great for spending time in the sea, taking boat rides, doing some hiking, taking a ferry to Capri, etc. There is no similarity whatsoever to Naples, which is over an hour away and is a large, bustling city that no one should drive in unless you have done it many times. It is the craziest driving I've come across in Italy and, well, pretty much anywhere.

These are two completely different types of locations and it just depends on what type of holiday you want - city or seaside village. Only you will have that answer.

In July, I believe you will find a ferry from Positano to Naples - that is what I would do - bypass the busy buses on the Amalfi Coast road - and once in Naples, use public transportation and your feet to get around.

If seeing what Naples has to offer is your primary interest, stay there; if not, stay on the AC if that looks of interest to you.

Here's some photos (not mine) of Positano (the AC village just north of the town of Amalfi) to give you some idea of what it is like. Note: it is different than Amalfi, so to compare, you can google some photos of Amalfi, Praiano, etc: (click on the photos to enlarge them) -

http://www.naviquan.com/page/positano

Auckland
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

Hi there,

Thank you all for your replies - so very helpful!

Is it feasible to drive to Amalfi from Rome? I've found a few places that offer carparking, and I can see a route via Salerno?

We have not driven in Italy before, however we are confident drivers.

Thank you!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

No problem to drive to Amalfi from Rome as long as you have parking arranged where you will stay as parking will be very very tight in Amafi in July.

new york state
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

i would use sorrento as a base, and you can get to pompeii and naples via the circumvesuviana train. then take a ferry from sorrento to capri, and the SITA bus to positano and almafi. driving from rome to sorrento is no difficult.

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

I'm also planning to visit Amalfi Coast, driving down from Tuscany; and would appreciate some advice on driving conditions. Should I just abandon my rental car in a parking lot (or return to the rental company) in one of the towns in Amalfi (eg Sorrento) and then take train to Pompei, bus to Positano and Amalfi coast; or should I do these places using the rental car?

Rick Steves made driving along the Amalfi coast sound like a real terror F1 driving along the cliff. Is it really so bad and difficult, or can an average driver drive along the Amalfi coast, say from Sorrento - Positano - Amalfi - Salerno safely?

9. Re: Amalfi Coast - 3 nights, advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 07:16