We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Stilwell, KS
11 posts
Save Topic
Amalfi vs Sorrento - where to make home base?

Hello - My husband and I are travelling to Italy early May. After a few days in Rome, we're traveling to the Amalfi coast. Our orginal plan was to stay in Positano, but I can't seem to find a good room available. So I decided on Sorrento. I booked a room at the Hotel Royal there. An Italian cousin of a friend lives in Amalfi and he says we should stay there instead.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read Amalfi isn't as good a place to stay as Sorrento (not as picturesque), but I've also heard Sorrento is a crowded and very touristy town.

Where to stay? HELP!

Thanks!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi vs Sorrento - where to make home base?

I'd stick with Sorrento on the basis of our experienc last year; we visited Amalfi- which was lovely, as part of a bus run up the Amalfi coast (and even tho' we usually avoid the herd, a coach trip is probably easier than driving yourself for sghtseeing)and while we loved walkig to the very top of Amalfi for lunch, I'd say Sorrento has more to offer. It's also really well-located for local train and boat transport- with trains to Pompeii, or on to Naples, trips to the islands or public service boats (not just tourist boats) across the bay to Naples;

Naples is great town to walk around, and less dangerous than its reputation as long as you are reasonably streetwise. If you do, don't miss lunch in Trattoria Nenella, Vico Lungo Teatro Nuovo 103, in the slightly seedy Spagnuoli district where you'll be the only Brits eatng; local business suits queue up to slum it for fantastically cheap lunch so arrive early

Dublin, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi vs Sorrento - where to make home base?

I would pick Amalfi or Positano over Sorrento. I not sure how picturesque Sorrento is but I know it doesn't have any beaches as such just man-made beaches below its cliffs. Also the main attractions are really between from Positano to Minori (incl. Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Atrani etc.) so it would be better being based on the coast line here. The local bus service along the coast from Positano to Amalfi, Amalfi to Ravello is very good and a great way to see the scenery. In Positano I would recommend the Hotel Conca d'oro (good basic 3star at the top of the village, but served by the internal bus), also Villa Rosso down in the village (a bit more basic but great location. Amalfi is located below Ravello - a definite place to visit or stay if you can afford, we stayed outside Amalfi - 10 - 15 minute walk in Villa Scarpiello (very highly recommended completely different to your standard hotel and located below Ravello try their website www.amalfi.it/scarpiello) and they also have a sister villa, the villa san michele. There were also some fabulous hotels in Ravello but were very pricey. Check out the links on this website for places and restaurants to visit, we found that generally all recommendations were accurate.