We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?'s re: Capri and Amalfi Walking Vacation

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
?'s re: Capri and Amalfi Walking Vacation

Flying into Rome on October 2nd (bringing winter clothes for our student-daughter, so do need to come into FCO). Probably spend a night in Rome to have dinner with her. Planning 10/3-10/9 in Campania. We are mid-50s, and have Sunflower guide to help us plan for a nice walking vacation. I've looked into some self-guided "tours" but think their prices a bit steep, and would prefer to plan and book things ourselves. Here are my ideas & questions:

Bus from Rome to Sorrento. (from reading the forums, seems easier than going via train through Naples. No?) 1-2 days in Sorrento to see Herculaneum & Capri. ?: Day-trip to Capri, or worth spending a night there? I'm leaning towards the latter, but curious what's recommended.

Transfer to one of the Amalfi coast towns (via ferry or bus). Want one that is well-based for daily hikes. ?: Stay in one town for 4 nights or transfer mid-stay? If we want to walk from one town to another, and re-locate our base, is it possible to arrange for our light luggage to be tranferred via cab?

May be a silly question, but: If we stay in, say Amalfi, then hike to another town for dinner, given that dinner hour is fairly late in Italy, what are the trails like back to our base town at night? I know that some are well-made steps and even have street-lights, but others are more unpaved trails. Which towns are accessible to each other via night-friendly trails? Or is that option just out of the question in Oct.?

Then we return to Rome for a nice week with daughter. Thanks in advance for your help!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ?'s re: Capri and Amalfi Walking Vacation

Check the bus schedule before leaving in october. the buses don't run at all in the winter, and less frequently in the fall and spring than the online schedule indicates. One of the bus lines (Marozzi? Curreri?) I don't think runs at all past Sept. Even in the summer there are only 3 buses a day fron Rome Tiburtina to Sorrento.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ?'s re: Capri and Amalfi Walking Vacation

We walked via the Sunflower guide between Minori - Atrani - Amalfi and Maiori - Minori. I would not want to walk any of those paths: a) after dinner with wine; or b) in the dark.

I would suggest hiking to your destination, then public transit/taxi back to your base.

And In October, i will be getting dark earlier, so you may want to do your hikes in the morning, have lunch, then back to your base and have dinner near your hotel.

Enjoy!

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ?'s re: Capri and Amalfi Walking Vacation

Thanks for the replies. I did go to the Marozzi bus website, and knowing nearly no Italian, did manage to put in "Roma" and "Sorrento", with a date of 3/10/11...and got back that there seems to be a 1500h bus, arr in Sorrento at 1900h still in October. So 4 hours. How does that compare to taking the train to Naples and transferring to the Circumvesuvius (sp) train to Sorrento? Would we need to make a reservation ahead of time (for the bus) do you think?

I sort of thought that walking the trails after dark wouldn't be advisable. That may be why we ultimately choose to do a hotel transfer midweek--so we get a chance to experience a different town. Perhaps one more northerly and one more to the south. Or one on the water, and then Ravello? Which two to choose will be our (fun) challenge! I

4. Re: ?'s re: Capri and Amalfi Walking Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 10:18