We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amalfi coast tour

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
2 posts
Save Topic
amalfi coast tour

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in late May and the last leg of the trip leaves us in Sorrento. We have one leisure day, and want to do a day trip to the Amalfi Coast. Does anyone have suggestions regarding transportation? Are the local buses reliable? Or should we take a private car? Would appreciate any info anyone can give me. Thanks much. We are very excited about this trip!! Can't wait to go.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
135 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amalfi coast tour

We are going to be there for a week in mid-March - with a car. If noone answers by the, I will let you know how it went, about 27 March.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: amalfi coast tour

The local buses are very reliable (and so is the traffic) but delays will happen with the main routes being Sorrento to Amalfi (Via Positano) and Amalfi to Ravello.WWW.sita-on-line.it for Timetables.For a Driver and car I recommend DiveAmalfi (info@driveamalfi.com).

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amalfi coast tour

Why not consider a boat, there are boats from Sorrento to Amafi,

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amalfi coast tour

We, too, were searching for day tours out of Sorrento, in our case for early June, and I ran across a posting somewhere about www.goldentours.it. It is based in Sorrento and seems to have a wide variety of both road and boat tours for whole and half days, with reasonable prices. I don't know if it's a reliable outfit or not, but maybe some other Trip Advisor participant has used them and will respond. From what I've read, driving yourself on the Amalfi Coast road would be way too stressful, especially if you've only got a single day.

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: amalfi coast tour

thank you all for replying. I appreciate the info. I should clarify that we also want to visit Ravelo and Positano. If we decided to take a boat, schedule permitting, how do we get from town to town? Since we only have one day, is the fastest by boat or bus?. thanks again for all your help.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: amalfi coast tour

Ravello is reached by bus from Amalfi,it is aound a 20 minute journey up the Dragone Valley but be in plenty of time for the bus as during the summer months they are full to bursting point. Amalfi,Positano and Sorrento are all accesible by boat and check WWW.metrodelamare.com and WWW.coopsantandrea.com

7. Re: amalfi coast tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2006, 12:56
8. Re: amalfi coast tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2006, 13:59
Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
277 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amalfi coast tour

If you can afford private drivers, I'm sure that is the better way to go, especially if you have only one day. We'll be there for 4 days in june, and are on a budget, so will be using public transportation (or maybe goldentours for one trip?) to get around. Regarding goldentours.it, while I have not used them, it looks to me from their Web site that they are a local company based in Sorrento and are not in fact a travel agency. Possibly other posters know better. They just happen to have a lot of regularly scheuled trips (boat and motor vehicle) around the area. And, I recently inquired of both benvenutolimos and goldentours about the cost of transfer from Sorrento to Naples airport: Benvenuto was 100 euro and goldentors was 80 euro, with a 10 euro suplement for very early morning. I've seen posts suggesting that one good way to do a day tour is to take the bus one way (outbound from Sorrento), then come back by boat, so you can see the coastline from above and below, so to speak.

Positano
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: amalfi coast tour

I am a local so let me give you more info:

Goldentour is a travel agency, 100%

So they contract out. The tours they do is by buses, big buses, we see them around everydays. They build up a group and they are part of the group.

If you want to save money this is a good option, however I don't if the service is good or not.

The difference in price is acceptable, from my point of view, may be it is a matter of cars and services. You know you always get what you pay.

However 80 Euro is too cheap, I have to say, the standard prices for a transfer by private driver should be 100/120 Euro!

Ciaooooooooo