We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

We have found 2 neat apartments and are having a heck of a time deciding. There are 3 adults traveling for 1st time to Italy. One place ("Praia in Praiano") is a 1 br. right on the sea in Praino which is so cool! There are fishing boats right off the terrace (smallish) with bars/restaurants/activities "at our toes". It's within 5-10 walk of bus stop, but no grocery close. One br is OK since have sleep sofa. The other place (Casa Floreal) is in Pastena hamlet of Amalfi and unfortunately 4 km from beach and town center. It is beautiful with 2 br. and 2 baths with a large terrace and seaview (which doesn't look like it's 4 km away). It is close to a grocery and bus stop, but far from other things. We will not have a car so we'll be relying on buses. Anybody been to either or both of these areas that can offer suggestions? Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,817 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

Do you plan to just stay in one place and relax for the whole week or you plan to visit other towns and which ones? This would influence my choice.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

Praiano is a lot less touristy than the Amalfi area....do not know the Pastena area tho.

Praiano is more equi-distance to other spots on the coast and has the advantage of the E1 local bus to Positano.

To find an alimentari (store) close to where I suspect you will be....as only one real beach in the fishing cove......may not be as far away as you think.

I always go back to this area because of its in between status....good eating places..... & the best of all it is the least touristy of an over touristed place.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

I would look around for some other choices.

Three adults in a one bedroom is very tight. I think you will all enjoy a larger space more.

I personally don't like the Praia beach part of Praiano (stayed at a hotel there the Onda verde a couple of years ago) for many reasons and much prefer the other end of Praiano. You can walk to a food store from the Praia end but it's an unpleasant one along the main road or a pleasant but very uphill one.

Is the Pastena one up the hill or just four miles from Amalfi on the coast road? (I see it's on the Praiano side of Amalfi). Makes a big difference in your ability to get around on the bus ... It's a pain to have to catch the bus every time you want to go to a restaurant though.

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

We are planning to go to Capri and Pompeii for sure and probably hit a few towns close by-Amalfi, Positano, Maiori/Minori, etc. We're not sure on the exact itinerary. We do hope to lie around some-especially on terrace and beach, we'd love to swim but think it'll be too cold, and we hope to take a cooking class or two.

Thanks!

Edited: 11 February 2012, 22:59
Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

The Pastena one is up the hill not on the coast road, unfortunately. We kept asking how far it was from the sea and we were told 4 km. but think they may have meant 4 km to the beach. The pics don't look like it's that far from the actual ocean that is below it. It might be deceiving though. We were told there was a grocery at the bottom of the steps-close, and you are right about it being a drag to have to catch a bus to go eat each time we want to go out.

Thanks for your comments!

Arkansas City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

We stayed in Praiano for 7 days this past October in a wonderful 2br 2 bath apt from Summerinitaly.com. It was called Casa Susanna. Great price - perfect location. across the street from the bus stop both SiTA and local bus to Positano and Amalfi.. Check out the photos on the summer in Italy website. The place is better than the pictures and the pictures are great. Everything in Praiano is walking and stairs. This apartment is only 12 steps to get from the street to the apartment. A real plus in Praiano. Grocery within one to two blocks. Great location. We like it so much we have booked a return visit and I would not consider staying anywhere else. The terrace is huge and directly on the sea. Great places to eat within easy walking distance.

Be sure to visit Ravello no matter where you stay you have to see Chimbrone.

Enjoy

7. Re: Praiano vs. Amalfi for week in late May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 10:20