We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

The UK
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Hi will be staying at the above hotel beginning september. I know this hotel's outside Amalfi, high up, and that there are various reviews about shuttle or local buses into Amalfi. That's good to know.

However, I wondered, firstly for those who've stayed at this hotel, if I took their lift down to their private beach, is it possible to walk to Amalfi along the seafront?

If so, how long would this seafront walk take me?

Alternatively, if there isn't a bus when I want it, how long would it take to walk from the main entrance of the hotel, into Amalfi's cathedral/seafront area?

Cheers

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

I stayed there a few years ago, really loved it altough does not seem to get such a good write up these days, there is a courtesy bus down to Amalfi, also the local bus which is quite a good service, the Hotel is in Small village called Pogerola a few bars and Restaurants, one almost next to the hotel down a lot of steps, is very good well known in the area, did not try it, there is no lift down to a private beach as far as I know as well as being high it is also a way back from the sea, you can walk down but its not a walk for the faint hearted, didit once, phew !!, but the transport down is readily available, the views from the hotel a breathtaking, especially at night looking down on Amalfi, we went in September, beware of Mossies, got very bitten, we stayed in an annex which was very nice massive patio but a lot of greenery around hence mossies,

I would stay there again if I went to Amalfi.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

I stayed there a few years ago, really loved it altough does not seem to get such a good write up these days, there is a courtesy bus down to Amalfi, also the local bus which is quite a good service, the Hotel is in Small village called Pogerola a few bars and Restaurants, one almost next to the hotel down a lot of steps, is very good well known in the area, did not try it, there is no lift down to a private beach as far as I know as well as being high it is also a way back from the sea, you can walk down but its not a walk for the faint hearted, didit once, phew !!, but the transport down is readily available, the views from the hotel a breathtaking, especially at night looking down on Amalfi, we went in September, beware of Mossies, got very bitten, we stayed in an annex which was very nice massive patio but a lot of greenery around hence mossies,

I would stay there again if I went to Amalfi.

Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Dear ClassicBee,

Pogerola is around 5 kms far from Amalfi, but you could reach the town going down some stars (600 or more, never counted them) and then coming back using one of the several buses or the hotel's shuttle.

Ciao and have a nice vacation,

Emiliano.

The UK
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Thanks for info about the steps. Might decide to try them out one morning - going down, that is, not coming back up!!!

For the record, yes there is a lift to a private beach in that hotel.

Still wondering though, once on their private beach, is it possible to walk along the beach to Amalfi, or is the seafront between each beach not accessible because of rocks/cliffs etc. If anyone knows...

Ta!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Classic bee

This intrigues me I cannot see how there is a lift to the beach from the hotel, the hotel way back from the sea and very high up, not saying there isnt but the mind boggles if there is may be a lift from the road to a private beach,

Would love comments on this ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

This is a bit confusing the two posts running neck and neck.

Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Dear Classic Bee and friends of TA,

Hotel Excelsior does not have a lift close to the hotel to reach the beach.

To go there, you should go for some kilometres by bus or using the private shuttle provided by the hotel.

The only thing available there is the swimming pool.

Ciao,

Emiliano.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,627 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Sunnyamaficoast

Thank you I could not see how there would be a lift to the beach, (best to have a cable car) only joking.

The UK
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

now I'm confused!!

On the hotel's website, in their 'supplies' link, it states 'private beach with elevator'. I have assumed this means there's a lift down to that beach.

If that information from them is incorrect, and they've also given UK booking agencies incorrect information, I'd be very interested to know about it because it would not be fair for the hotel's agencies to say there is a private beach via the hotel elevator if there isn't!

So, let us assume(!) that I'm on that hotel's private beach, and I want to then walk to the main Amalfi beach, along the seashore. Can I?

Ta!

Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: grand hotel exelsior to amalfi

Dear ClassicBee,

the private beach mentioned is isolated and reachable only by boat from Amalfi.

Ciao,

Emiliano.