We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

Hello,

I just have two days in Amalfi in the first weekend of May and I very much would like to do the Walk of the Gods from Amalfi to Positano. The problem is that we need to catch a flight in Naples airport in the following morning.

My idea was to catch the last ferry from Positano to Salerno at 18h30. But since we can't do the hike with our luggage, I was wondering if I could maybe leave out luggage at the Amalfi port and when the ferry from Positano to Salerno calls in the Amalfi port, I would quickly get out and fetch our luggage before continuing to Salerno. From Salerno I would take a train or bus in the following morning.

Do you think this would be possible?

I've considered going to Naples aiport from Amalfi but since it will be Sunday it seems that only expensive private transfers would be avaliable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

First, I don't know where you could leave your luggage in Amalfi - and, there's no way to know whether you would have time to run off - the boats can get crowded and it's not so easy to just run off easily from the boat - all sounds risky - it doesn't stay long in the harbor.

You might consider leaving early a.m. via bus to Positano from Amalfi, taking the hike back (reverse your current hiking direction), picking up your luggage at your lodging (they will usually all keep them even after you check out for the rest of the day), then take the ferry without the worry of such short timing - the harbor/bus area in Amalfi can be incredibly chaotic - there's nothing casual or organized about any of it.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

Although I read about a left-luggage facility in Amalfi a couple of years ago, there has been no recent confirmation of its existence. Even if there was, the ferry does not stop long enough for you retrieve your luggage.

MC's suggestion is a good one.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

QUOTE:

"I've considered going to Naples aiport from Amalfi but since it will be Sunday it seems that only expensive private transfers would be avaliable"

COMMENT: This is wholly inaccurate.

On Sundays, you can get to the Naples Airport (NAP) from Amalif in at least two different ways:

1. SITA bus to Sorrento; Curreri airport bus to NAP; OR OR

2. SITA bus OR ferry boat to Salerno; Trenitalia unreserved regionale train to Napoli Centrale; Alibus airport bus to NAP

Solution 1 costs 7.60 + 10 = 17.60 Euros

Solution 2 costs 3.80 + 3.60 + 3 = 10.40 Euros OR 8 + 3.60 + 3 = 14.60 using the ferry boat to Salerno*

* ferry boat Amalfi/Salerno operates April through October only

A private transfer will cost around 130 Euros

Edited: 08 April 2014, 16:36
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

Thank you all for your suggestions! Your solutions are great.

It's indeed too risky to do it all in a hurry. I'm afraid my hotel said there was no quicl public solution on sundays and tried to organise a private transfer for me instead. This is why I didn't consider the sunday morning bus to Salerno.

Do you know how long would solutions 1 and 2 take? In any case we should have time since our flight will leave Naples only at noon.

Now I need to find another hotel in Amalfi because on saturday evening my hotel is full. I'll see what I can find...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

I can't give an estimate as to travel times - I've not done the bus from Sorrento to Naples airport

As to the second, things have always been fluid with regard to schedules when I have used buses/ferries - at times everything is on time; at other times, not.

You can check www.venere.com to see what is available in Amalfi of that night.

You don't though have a ton of time - bus to Salerno from Amalfi is 70 minutes (on average, depending on traffic, of course), then the train to Naples (wait time, travel time, etc) then transfer to the airport and probably you need to be there at 1.5 hours pre-flight time. Look at Trenitalia.com to see train schedules for your travel date from Salerno to Naples.

I'd probably stay that night in Naples - because (1) it is an amazing place and (2) it will make it very convenient with no stress about schedules.

Enjoy whatever you do.

6. Re: How long ferry stops in Amalfi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:17