We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

Hi

My husband and I are planning to travel to Europe towards the end of May for two weeks (May 24th to June 8th). For some work reason we will have to be in London for two days prior to our trip (from May 22nd and 23rd).

This is our first trip ever to Europe and we are not able to decide whether to visit Scotland - Ireland for two weeks or to visit Paris(France) - Italy.

Need some advice on which one will be a better option for first time Europe travelers.

We both admire architecture and history as much as we enjoy the natural scenic places and countryside.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

I would say that in the case of Scotland and Ireland, to make the most of those places it helps to have a car, since so many of the best sites are in the country. Whilst with a Paris - Italy itinerary you could just go to cities and rely just on trains. So it could depend on how comfortable you are about driving on the opposite side of the road. However I would not consider that to be a big objection to travelling to those places, just an extra thing to consider.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

Check for a multi city air ticket, fly into London and out of Paris

You could enjoy London and surrounds for a few days www.visitlondon.com

Take the train London Euston to Glasgow www.virgintrains.co.uk

Rent a car www.auto-europe.com and experience the Highlands www.visitscotland.com

Drop the Car in Edinburgh and fly to Paris www.easyjet.com

www.parisinfo.com www.timeout.com/paris

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

Hi SH Rover.We did the Scotland & Ireland trip last July & it was wonderful.Flew into Glasgow,spent 2 nights,Took train to Edinburough,spent 2 nights.Took the train from Edinburough to ferry to N Ireland,& train down to Dublin & spent 2 nights.Then took the train to Galway & hooked up with a tour of west Ireland for 10 days.The trains were great,on time & a good way to see the country.The only downside to going in may is the weather.Can be cool & rainy.May in most of Italy is very pleasant.Not sure about Paris.My money would be on Italy.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

Thank you so much for such wonderful suggestions. We have decided on Flying into London, visiting Scotland, some parts of Italy and then flying out of Paris.

My husband and I, both are equally comfortable with driving on either side of the road, so we are planning to rent a car in Scotland and in Italy.

Do you have any suggestions on how many days should we have for each place?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

All are beautiful in their own ways. Scotland and Ireland have spectacular green countrysides, rocky coasts and mountains. The castles and ruins are fabulous. The food, on the other hand, is heavy, and for the most part meat and potatoes. Drink is beer and scotch/whiskey.

Italy has so much to offer from Rome, Florence to Milan, the coast and of course Tuscany. The Italian Medieival towns in Tuscany may be my favorite. The cuisine varies from region to region, but you will find good wines and cheeses throughout.

It's difficult to say what is 'best' for you. All locations you mentioned are worth visiting. Perhaps if you provide a bit more of your wants and requirements, you will get more specific recommendations.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 19:09
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

IMHO you're trying to cover too many countries in a 14 day period. Each travel day is 1 day lost and not really a touring day. So if you're traveling from London to Scotland, Scotland to Italy, Italy to Paris that's 3 lost days and leaves you with 11 actual days in these countries. There's no way I could imagine even attempting to divy up time between what you want to see in Scotland, Italy and then Paris. At most, I would only attempt to visit 3 cities which would be 4 nights for each city and 4 nights is really only 3 full days. I'm assuming day of arrival and departure is included in the 14 days.

7. Re: Need advice to decide btw Scotland-Ireland or Paris-Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15