We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi coast 8 nights

13 posts
Save Topic
Amalfi coast 8 nights

Hi there,

I was deciding what to do for my partners surprise 30th bday and after couple of weeks looking into all different destinations-I have finally decided!!! 🙏

So we are flying into Naples and have 9nights around Amalfi coast. The last night we are spending in Naples as we gave a morning flight (11ish) so wanted to be close to the airport rather than stressing to get there from Amalfi or so...

I'm a little bit in doubt where to stay how many days as I'd like to have a nice holiday and see a lot but also relax...This would be my plan, but I'm not sure if it would be a waste of time checking in and out of hotels every couple of days, if we should rather stay in 1 or 2 places and see everything from there?

1st night: Sorrento

2nd : Positano

3rd : Capri

4/5/6th : Ravello

7/8 th: Salerno

9th-last Naples

Any recommendations on hotels/b&b's appreciated too and any itinerary ...

Definitely want to visit Pompeii but only for 2-3hours as heard that's enough and I'd love to stay 1 night in Capri...

Thank you very much,

Veronika

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Scranton...
Level Contributor
622 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

In my opinion, the more you can minimize moving, the happier you'll be.

Personally, I would extend the stay in Sorrento, since that's easy to reach from Naples, and a good place to decompress that first day. it also makes an ideal base for Pompeii and/or Herculaneum, and for Capri.

A lot of people like Positano as a base, but I think Amalfi is a better choice for your next set of overnights. From Amalfi you can easily visit Capri, Positano, Ravello, and Atrani as day trips.

I passed through Salerno on my last trip, and I didn't really see the appeal of staying there, except perhaps as a base for Paestum, but if you do wish to go there, I would definitely put it at the end of the itinerary, since it's very easy to take the train from Salerno back up to Naples for your return flight.

My preferences are for apartments rather than hotels or B&B's, another advantage of staying longer at each stop. We used Amalfi as a base for 5 days in May, and the apartment we picked up there was just great ( www.flipkey.com/amalfi-condo-rentals/p786281/ ), and exactly as pictured.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
460 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Pompeii
Pompeii
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,937 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

I like multiple bases but not 8 in 8 nights. Maybe 2-3.

The appeal of Positano is that it is mainly car-free and very pretty.

One reason I prefer staying in many bases rather than one base with lots of day trips. Some places- and Capri is a major example - don't lend themselves well to day trips.

We stayed in Capri and Positano each a few days.

While in Capri we literally avoided the main square when the day trippers invaded off their cruise ships. During those times we hiked through the natural beauty and further out towns. After the day trippers left we'd go back to town. So, Capri is much better experienced as a stay.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

hi Veronika.I to agree with the other post with regards to multiple hotels.We are going to amalfi in Sept and staying at the Luna Convento for 7 nights,Then going to Sorrento for 9 nights at the Grand de la ville.We can cover all the Amalfi coast from these locations.This is our 5th trip to the Amalfi coast and like the idea of a home base without all the packing and unpacking.

Mentioned in this post
Luna Convento
Luna Convento
73 Reviews
Amalfi, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

Thank you for your reply :)

I was thinking of staying in Sorrento 4nights - so we could go to Capri (or maybe rather Ischia) and Positano, and in Ravello 4 nights (from there to visit Amalfi and Salerno)

Do you think it's a good plan?

Also I'd like to go hike somewhere where is a nice view and maybe one day to relax on the beach-if there is a nice one (I know amalfi isn't a beach place but more a breathtaking views place )

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

Thank you :) I think I will stay in Sorrento and Ravello each 4nights ( just because £200/night in Positano is a bit too expensive for us... Otherwise I'd love to stay there...

And I will definitely do a day trip from Sorrento to Capri or Ischia-won't stay over night...thanks for yr advise

Regards Veronika

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Isola d'Ischia
Isola d'Ischia
United States
Level Contributor
859 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

9 days on the Amalfi Coast sounds great! We recently spent 4 nights in Positano, 3 in Capri and 2 in Naples, and thought that was a great split.

Ravello is beautiful, but I think it’s easier to make it a day trip rather than a base. What time of the year you’re going? Here is a bus schedule

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

And in season, they are full. I can’t imagine you cannot find something within your budget in either Positano or Amalfi. Check this out as an option: http://www.alcioneresidence.com/rates/

For Sorrento to Positano by bus, you have to consider the same issues: schedule and crowds. But this would be a non-issue if you can stay in either Amalfi or Positano.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Naples
Naples
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
7. Re: Amalfi coast 8 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:16