We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days left in Vietri sul Mare but where to visit?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
4 days left in Vietri sul Mare but where to visit?

I want to go on a few day trips from my base in Vietri sul Mare but am trying to choose one or two. I want to do the usual things like Capri, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello but it's hard to choose.

Which two places would someone recommend for me to go to? Both would be day trips. Is it best to use the ferries from Salerno?

Food is very important to my holiday so I'm also looking for any tips on fabulous restaurants in Vietri, Capri or Ravello. I like the idea of small, family-run places. Thanks for your help!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days left in Vietri sul Mare but where to visit?

I wasn't even aware there was a hotel in Vietri sul Mare - where exactly are you staying?

You can certainly take the ferry from Salerno to Amalfi and Capri. You'll need to drive (or I guess, take the bus) to get to Ravello but I would recommed that as a day trip, and take the boat to Capri.

I don't know many restaurants in the area (we stay with relatives) but on day trips to Amalfi a couple of times we have eaten at a little place called Trattoria San Giuseppe, which is on the left of the main street in Amalfi, maybe a hundred yards from the main square, up some stairs that make an alley way, around the corner. Little out of the way place that was recommended to my wife by a shopowner, and one of two restaurants in the entire country that I have gone out of my way to find on different trips.

Make sure you go to Villa Cimbrone in Ravello - it's the famous one with the "busts" overlooking the bay (I can never remember what it's called - the other famous one being Villa Rufullo, which you should see, but is right in the center of town).

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days left in Vietri sul Mare but where to visit?

Capri, Positano, Amalfi are all very charming.

Ferries would be the most comfortble way to travel beacuse of the costal road (lots of bends and curves), but from the road the view over the gulf of Salerno is beautiful.

www.turismoinsalerno.it/default.aspx…

just in case you choose the bus here are the timetables:

www.turismoinsalerno.it/orariautobus.htm

Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days left in Vietri sul Mare but where to visit?

Thanks both - Capri it is, by ferry!

The hotel isn't right in Vietri - it's the Hotel Raito. Well worth a visit, with beautiful views.

4. Re: 4 days left in Vietri sul Mare but where to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 17:19