We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salerno to Paestum

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18,135 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Salerno to Paestum

We will be in Positano in late September and wish to go to Paestum. (yes we've been all over the place trying to fit this in!)

I went on the Trenitalia site to check out the schedule, just to get an idea (keeping in mind we'd have to get to Salerno by ferry first) and it does not show any train between roughly 9:20 AM and about 13:30 PM. I just used a date next week (I tried September but obviously it's too soon)

There are trains almost hourly except for this large gap. Is this correct? And in the price column, every time has this message: "The travel solution contains one or more segments that belong to inhibited zones."

I can't find any explanation of what this means.

How we plan the last two weeks of the trip (that we thought were already planned!) depends on whether this can be done as a day trip.

thank you!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salerno to Paestum

Yep - there's a morning gap in those trains - otherwise there are the CSTP buses... line 34, more or less hourly though rather slower!

http://www.cstp.it/

(Check re Sundays, I can't remember everything...)

With either you'd need the same zone E5 UnicoCampania ticket - for prices, start here... noting that the temples and station of Paestum are actually in the Comune of Capaccio...

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

The list you see should start with singles at €3.40... They're available anywhere displaying the UnicoCampania sign... variously, tacchi, news stands, bars etc...

But whilst easy to find on the internet, Positano itself is fairly out of the way - with connections commensurate with its tiny population... so, fine as a resort for those who don't travel far - or able to use a car or car and driver firm - though not particularly handy as a base for exploring by public transport.... a difficulty that's compounded by there probably not being a boat heading eastwards until at least 10, so you wouldn't be ashore at Salerno until gone 11... otherwise, you'd ride two SITA buses to get there..

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salerno to Paestum

One other suggestion - if prepared to swap independence for convenience?

These people have tours which combine the Paestum temples with a morning visit to Salerno - operating from Sorrento on Tuesdays:

www.goldentours.it/en/daily_excursions.php

(No departure time given, but you could presumably get there with an early bus or taxi?)

... and from Amalfi on Wednesdays (actually described as 'all day Paestum'), for which they've a shuttle pickup from and back to Positano on offer at an extra €12 per person...

http://www.goldentours.it/en/from_amalfi.php

I'd imagine they'll still be running at the end of September, but do check!

Peter

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18,135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salerno to Paestum

Peter, thanks for your suggestions. This Paestum segment has been difficult, but we dropped one night early on at another location and will just bite the bullet and stay around Paestum, or maybe Agropoli for a night and then turn in the car in Salerno as has been suggested elsewhere, and ferry on to positano.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salerno to Paestum

Sounds good!

You might even do the drive back and stay in Salerno (saving a day's car hire in the process) - the province's capital city, so not really a sea-side resort... but which turned out to be much more interesting than we'd expected?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/salerno33

Peter

Tampa
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salerno to Paestum

Greetings,

All of you are so helpful with your answers. I was just wondering, if I stay in Naples how can I get from Naples to Paestrum? Let me go one step further, during my stay in Naples I'd like to hit up Capri, Pompeii, and Paestrum as day trips.......I could really use some advice on how to get there *keeping Naples the main base* if possible. Other possibility, stay in Salerno one night and head to Paestrum and stay there for that night then head back to Rome. Wasn't sure how to go from Paestrum to Rome though and can't seem to find a train connecting any place to Paestrum.

If not, I'm open to suggestions. IN the end, I have to get back to Rome. Thank you so very much.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 20:34
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salerno to Paestum

Ferry from Naples to Capri. Circumvesuviana train from Naples (lower level of train station) to Pompeii. Fast train from Naples to Salerno, then local train from Salerno to Paestum. Fast train from Salerno or Naples back to Rome.

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salerno to Paestum

If you are willing to drive, you could rent a car in Salerno and drive to Paestum for overnight. We stayed in the lovely Il Granaio Dei Casabello, with views of the temples from our window. Used the Rick Steves' Guide for our own walking tour of the temple area then visited the museum. Highly recommend all of this.

Twice we were on the Amalfi Coast and wanted to visit Paestum but found it too complicated for a day trip from Sorrento or Positano. This time, with a car, we found it worth the wait.

While there we enjoyed a lovely dinner at Il Gallo E La Perla, a restaurant across the street from the temple park and visited a buffalo mozzarella farm the following morning for its 10 AM tour in English - Contrado Vannulo. You book this in advance online.

Do make the effort to get to Paestum!

8. Re: Salerno to Paestum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 06:17