We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

Hello TA members

I will be in Salerno for 3 days in September. Family of 5 looking at doing the main sites over the 3 days. I have received various quotes from private drivers for tours and they appear to be very expensive.

I need some advice please. One day I want to visit POMPEII, HERACLEUM and possibly MT VESIVUS.

Another day AMALFI COAST & SURROUNDS

I understand there is a the public bus for the Coast or a Ferry. Leaning towards the Ferry at this stage. I also undestand I can catch a train from Salerno to Pompeii etc and do the tour independantly,

I have to weigh up the costs ( 900 Euro for two tours average ) as opposed to the costs/stress/confusion of the independant option. I have been told the tours with drivers dont incude entrance fees or commentary.

Thoughts please. Basically need a push along one way or another from people who have done either.

Thank You

Sorrento
Level Contributor
596 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

From Salerno you can take the train to Pompeii, the train station is 20/30 minutes by walk from the entrance of the ruins.

Outside the entrance there are buses to Mt Vesuvius or you can catch the circumvesuviana train ( not the same line and company coming from Salerno ) to Herculaneum.

As regards the Amalfi Coast you can find a company that costs 30/35 eur per hour and do a full day tour on the Amalfi Coast or catch the ferry to Amalfi, then a bus to Ravello.

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

Thank you for the quick reply . Do you know a driver or company that will do such a trip ? Everyone I have tried is over 450 euro min . Any information is appreciated .

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

If you want to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, Mount Vesuvius and Amalfi, you would do better to stay in Sorrento rather than Salerno.

From Sorrento, there are trains to Pompeii and Herculaneum, and buses to Amalfi. It is a much better transport centre.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

This thread contains recommendations:

tripadvisor.com/…56008856

Also, type - private driver - in the search bar above the posts, to the right will be 'relevance', click date.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
596 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

Your hotel in Salerno is already booked? It is true that Sorrento is a better base than Salerno.

The company I used is Transferelax, check it on TripAdvisor

australia
Level Contributor
328 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

Yes hotel locked in non refundable . Happy enough with Salerno . Is the ferry from Salerno to amalfi good ? Can you get good views of the coast ? Imagine that would be cheap

Sorrento
Level Contributor
596 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

I do not remember the exact cost of the ferry, it should be around 12/15 eur per person for one way

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

Our cruise ship will dock in Salerno. We want to visit Herculaneum and Mt Vesuvius. The private tours are nice but we cannot find anyone on our ship who wants to share the tour (and tour price). So can anyone help us with the most direct route to get from the cruise port in Salerno to Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius? Bu? Train? Taxi?

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

Contact www.sorrentocars.com for hourly rates similar to those mentioned in reply nbr 1. Excellent, friendly service.

10. Re: Doing the Amalfi & ruins on a Budget ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:15