We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

Cornwall
2 posts
Save Topic
Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type bars

Lord you make Sorrento sound like spain or somewhere equally as tacky.

Yes Sorrento over the years has become more touristy as travellers have demanded a better standard of holiday over the years, but, Sorrento can still be a peaceful haven for a much deserved relaxing break in the sun and who can beat the views of naples bay and mount vesuvious and the delights of Pompeii nearby?

Il Mondo Tondo
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

Each to their own but Sorrento is really a bit stereotyped in my opinion.

Nice in low season but too busy and touristy for my liking after April and before November.

It has become a mass tourism destination .

Better to stay somewhere less known if you want to enjoy the area.

Sorrento is way down on my list of holiday destinations in Italy But hey, we are not all the same.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,440 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

I really must agree,l have been going to Sorrento for nearly Thirty years on and off, it has changed really not for the better, I still feel its a lovely place and would not change my opinion, but the last time I went there 18 months ago, it seemed to be just bursting at the seams,and that was Septembher, I hate to think what it is like in high Summer,I know I will not be popular saying this, but once you could go to the Cloisters, it was a peaceful haven,now it puts me in mind of a Las Vegas Wedding Chapel, it 's such a shame, I expect I will go again, still think its a beautiful resort, the fact is so do so many other people,and at the end of the day, its a tiny Town its out grown its self, but as the song says we do all keep coming back.

UK
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

Historically, Sorrento has always been a popular holiday resort and as it has the advantage of the best public transport infrastructure of any town in the area, it will always be busier than say Positano or Amalfi. That said, it is still a beautiful town in an almost perfect location and remains a day to day working town with a sizeable local population that demands good quality shops, restaurants and bars.

On my latest holiday there early last summer, I certainly was not aware of any increase in "English type" bars beyond the English Tavern and the Irish Bar on the Corso Italia.

Certainly, the town has become popular as a wedding location for British and Irish people with the Cloisters of San Francesco being the favourite place to tie the knot.

Still, it is still possible to enjoy peaceful, quiet moments in Sorrento in the height of the season.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

I agree with the last post - I was in Sorrento early May of last year and couldn't have had a better time as a tourist. One of my tricks was getting an early start to avoid lines for public transport to get to my chosen destination for the day. Another was chosing to do things that the hordes DID NOT - hiking the hills between Ravello and Amalfi and also between AnaCapri and Capri harbor - no lines to do that and virtually no other tourists !! In Sorrento itself I discovered a gem of a museum: Museo Bottega della Tarsia Lignea which does a fantastic job presenting the history of the wooden inlay business/artists that Sorrento is famous for. It was a cool respite on a hot day and I found it especially ironic that I was the ONLY person visiting - the inlay shops I had passed on my way there were packed with hordes of tourists "shopping". So, if you chose your options carefully and don't mind travelling "off the beaten path" you can be rewarded with memories of a lifetime from a truly spectacular destination.

WI
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

That's why Positano and other smaller villages are well worth the visit. It's more of the Italian experience you should get.

6. Re: Sorrento is busy and over touristy now. Lots of English type

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 13:19