We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

Was thinking of renting a car in Sorrento and visiting Pompeii at 8am for half a day and then driving to Positano and the Amalfi coast in the afternoon-returning to Sorrento in the Evening.

Is this a reasonable possibility?

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
839 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

It will be a long day, but you can do it. We stayed in Positano two weeks ago and had a rental car. Late one morning, we drove to Pompei (took about 50 minutes to an hour) and spent almost 5 hours there (noon - 5pm). You do not have to stay that long - our 18 year old son just enjoyed it so much and it was a gorgeous day. I would think that Sorrento to Pompei would be about the same distance - about 50 minutes to an hour's drive. Then, an hour back to Positano. I don't think you would want to drive farther than Amalfi or Ravello along the SS163 in the afternoon. It can be slow going, especially if you stop and see the sights along the way. We spent a half day visiting Pompei and a half day visiting the Amalfi Coast from Positano, so I guess you could combine the two in one long day.

italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

Aventura

By car it's possible visiting the Amalfi coast and Pompei in 9 hr.

I suggest you to visit the Amalfi coast first becouse you will drive on the sea side wich is more beautiful.

From Sorrento to Ravello there are 70 min. drive and in between you can visit Positano and Amalfi.

From Ravello to Pompei there are 50 min. drive, you will drive through valico di Chiuzi, take the motorway A3 in Angri and exit Pompei.

The rates fot rent one car in Sorrento it's abaut 60-70 euros.

If you want private driver 220-300 euros

CIAO

Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Sorrento for 7 days and we would like to rent a car and drive around. Can anyone tell me the cost for rentals and places that you would recommend to rent the car?

Thank you,

JB

New Jersey
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

From Sorrento Pompeii is not far, so if you are there for the opening of the ruins two hours, maybe three if you really want to do details is more than enough. From Pompeii you can stay on the Autostrada and drive South to the exit of Vietri sul Mare and drive the coast back to Sorrento. This way you can have lunch in Ravello, spend a couple of hours there. Stop then in Amalfi for one hour, Positano is a little trickier since parking is more difficult and then the walk down to the beach is time consuming you might then spend a few hours there. Then continue driving back to Sorrento and enjoy the views. By driving South to North you will be able to enjoy the breathtaking views without the scary feeling of driving next to the cliffside, you will be on the mountainwall side. I have done this trip and it will take all day but is well worth the ride. You should be back no later than 6 or 7 p.m. depending on traffic and how long you spend at each town. I highly recommend Ravello and Amalfi. Positano is good to see but in my opinion too much hassle with all the stairs. Positano is also a one oneway road if you miss your spot you have to come out and go around again and work your way down.

italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent Car and see Pompeii and Amalfi in one day?

Jaanu

If you see www.admlimousine.com they has many cars you can rent also smart car, try also www.jollyservizi.it.

There are also hertz,maggiore,avis