We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Having just got back from Sorrento I thought I���d add my thoughts on the hotel & some of the restaurants we tried. I got a lot of useful information from this forum so I���d like to be able to offer some in return. Hopefully it���ll be of help.

The Hotel Antiche Mura. If a sea view is not on your list of requirements then this hotel is ideal. It is positioned very close to Piazza Tasso but without the noise you would expect from its location. It has no restaurant, only a breakfast room, but if, like me, you like to steer clear of half board and sample the local restaurants then this is not an issue. I booked this hotel direct and have nothing bad to say about it.

Pizzeria Aurora. My first taste of ���proper��� pizza and a successful one at that. Waiters very friendly and went to the trouble to explain the various pizzas, they do 50! A lot of which are there to cater for pizzahut enthusiasts but that does not detract from the quality of the more traditional ones. We ate here twice, the second time we only wanted something light. 2 beers, 2 pizzas & 2 coffees came to 20 euros, I���d left a bigger tip the night before!

L���Antica Trattoria. We ended up here when the place we were going to eat at was shut, forward planning anyone? As it had started to rain we went to the first place I recognised to name of and it was magnificent. At first we felt a tad underdressed although the waiters never gave the impression that they thought so. We had a truly wonderful night of fine food, good wine and service that was perfect. We were treated as if we were special but yet was still able to have a laugh with the waiters. A 4 course meal with frills, wine & espresso for 120 euros (25euro bottle of wine)

Ristorante 'O Canonico. The ���nicer��� sister restaurant of the Pizzeria Aurora, and situated next door. We ate here on the premise that to Aurora was good and we didn���t want to go there yet again (very convenient for the hotel). This restaurant was of a similar price bracket as the L���Antica Trattoria but not a patch on it in terms of dining experience. The food was nice enough and the service good but it didn���t have that extra something. I would also point out that this was the only place we ate that tried to push the expensive wine. The menu was very fish based, in fact only one starter didn���t involve fish, that���s not a criticism, merely an observation. 3 course meal with wine & coffee, we skipped dessert for 105euros.

Il Buco. This was the one place I was intent on experiencing, so much so that we went and reserved a table for later in the week as soon as we���d unpacked. It didn���t disappoint. This restaurant, situated in the cellars of the convent, deserves its Michelin star. The service was excellent and the food outstanding. I find one of the tests of a good restaurant is how they deal with you asking for alterations. We had both chosen one of the taster menus, the pasta course of which had a walnut sauce. As I am allergic to walnuts I asked if I could have something else. They were happy to do this but suggested instead that the chef present mine with a different sauce. It was delicious with a zucchini sauce. The walnut sauce was delicious too, according to my wife. For a special night out, this is the place, make sure you book though. A fine dining experience for 155euro and worth every cent.

We ate elsewhere too but these were the places that I felt compelled to write about. Sorry for the long post but hopefully its been useful.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Weirdfish,

We were only in Sorrento 2 nights, but ate at Il Buco twice, and concur100% on your comments. To me, if there is one restaurant to eat at in Sorrento, this is it. Everything was top notch. We ate outside and it was delightful (in October).

We wanted to eat at the restaurant down by the marina, because we had heard good things about it as well, but as happens - too few days and too many places to see!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
886 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

We just returned from Italy last week and ate at Pizzaria Aurora on Piazza Tasso on March 25th. Heartily agree with you. I had the best lasagna of my entire 3 week trip, and my kids had pizza to die for. My husband had a wonderful white pasta dish. The service was excellent, the price was right and the food was wonderful. The best house wine we had in Italy also.

toronto Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Thanks weirdfish and all the others. We are in Sorrento after a weeks cruise May8. I can't wait. It's so interesting to read your comments and try to imagine in your head. Can't wait for the real thing to appriciate it all. Please post some more suggestions if you think of any.

ballymena
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

What did you think of Sorrento itself. I have been to Lake Garda and am worried that I will be disappointed with Sorrento. We are also staying in the Antiche Mura and wondered if your room was a comfort room or basic double. Our tour operator did not offer us a choice of upgrading and I think from the brochure we are in a double with queen size bed. I know we dont have a balcony and wondered if you could enlighten us a little on the bedrooms. All the reviews of this hotel almost seem too good to be true.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

We stayed in a Comfort room but I would think all the rooms are of the same standard, i just think the comfort rooms are on the ravine side with the balconies. The balconies are not huge, two metal chairs & a table but its nice to sit there listening to the bustle.

I liked Sorrento. I'm not a city fan, although Sorrento is hardly a city you know what I mean, and I felt very comfortable there. It's very touristy but not in a bad way.

We went to Amalfi for a day and I was a bit disappointed, it didnt seem as friendly as Sorrento. Obviously that was only a one day experience.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

I loved Sorrento, but I was even more impressed with Capri and Positano. I stayed in Sorrento because I had Hilton honors points I wanted to use. Had I had total freedom of choice, and given equal cost of hotels, my choice for accomodations would have been either of them over Sorrento, however, you really can't go wrong with any of the resorts on the Amalfi Coast....it is pure heaven!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
886 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Sorrento was one of our favorite cities in our 3 week trip to Italy. We actually stayed in a wonderful apartment at the top of Positano for 5 days, but we do not have a bad word to say about any place we visited on the Amalfi Coast or Sorrentino Peninsula. We thought Sorrento was such a neat town to wander around in at night - lots to do, lots of places open, etc. We also visited Ravello (really beautiful) and Amalfi (a really beautiful church in the main square). Capri was an easy ferry ride from Sorrento (the ferries weren't running there from Positano when we visited in late March) and so much fun. We took the bus to the top - Anacapri - and then WALKED down this really cool staircase cut right into the mountain to get back to Capri. So, anywhere on the Amalfi Coast or Sorrentino Peninsula will be wonderful. I am sure you will love it!

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
91 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Sorrento is ok, but no real frontage,all taken by hotels and getting a little scruffy in old town. Now Positano or Ravello farther down the coast - nicest views in the whole world,but,expensive to stay.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Sorrento, some thoughts.....

Hi weirdfish - thanks for the great restuarant reviews. My wife and I are off to Sorrento on May 5th and will certainly try some of your favorites, especially Il Buco.

Live to Travel