We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

merseyside
Level Contributor
361 posts
258 reviews
Save Topic
HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

We are going to Sorrento on friday for first time and after looking at the 10 day forecast am devastated!! It's giving thunderstorms for Saturday through to Tuesday (inc), and as we've never been to Sorrento, or indeed Italy before we're at a loss as to where we can go. Obviously we will need to take care anyway in a thunderstorm but originally our itinerary comprised of visiting Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi, Ravello, Herculaneum, and,maybe Positano as well as spending time exploring Sorrento itself. We are going for 2 weeks but wanted to spread out our time sightseeing rather than pack it all in together. I've had some great advice up to now from this site and am hoping you respond in the same way now, many many thanks for any responses.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

I don't know for sure, obviously, but in my experience (a) 10 day forecasts aren't always that reliable and (b) in summer months sometimes "thunderstorms" just means very sticky and humid building up to a thunderstorm mid-afternoon, then clear(ish) again (perhaps with storms at night). It doesn't necessarily mean day-long thunderstorms or anything. So it might just be a case of hiding for a couple of hours here and there.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

Dear amberpop,

I hope the weather forecast will be wrong as we've bumped into tourists in Napoli who were drenched during their visit to Pompei Scavi. The tourists decided to head to the Archeologico Museo Nazionale in Napoli.

(please paste the next two pieces together in a browser)

Here's a great recommendation for one of a very beautiful museum right in Sorrento:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k1033…

Sorrento_Campania.html#6215104

As Vicki2005 mentioned, sometimes the weather is really bad during an afternoon and suddenly everything clears up either that day or the next. Sometimes it rains the whole night and then the next day is perfectly sunny and hot.

Currently, it's pretty humid so hopefully the weather will rain itself out before you head over.

Buona Fortuna...

North Wales
Level Contributor
71 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

I wouldn't worry too much- Check out the BBC weather website 5 day forecast for Naples on www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4682

-It shows high temp of 31C on sunday and low of 20C and sunny.I have travelled alot and been very impressed with BBC 5 day forecasts-they seem to be very accurate

Sandhurst, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

Like the others have said don't worry too much. We have been to Sorrento every year for the last 12 years and would now feel cheated if we didn't see at least one storm. They are spectacular events especially if they happen at night. When it rains there it really rains but it gets it over and done with and if you get wet so what ! We have had some memorable laughs getting caught in the rain over there.

Have a great time I am sure you will love it.

merseyside
Level Contributor
361 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

Thanks everyone, really feel a lot better now. Just a little worried as the holiday is to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary so it is rather special for us. We'll just play it by ear and take each day as it comes - roll on Friday!!!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

Hi amberpop,

We too check out the 10 day forecast before we travel anywhere and usually find that it is pretty accurate - if you re-check daily it is always updated so there is still time for your forecast to improve. If you look today, all the storms predicted have disappeared leaving only light rain on Sunday and scattered showers on Monday and then gradually improving. Also, have a look occasionally at the sorrento webcam and see if the forecast matches what people are wearing to suit the weather that day! In our experience it is very unlikely that you will have consistent bad weather at this time of the year (we go early June) and although when it rains in Sorrento it really does rain, we have only had a bad run of wet weather once - in early October - when it was pretty consistent for 4 / 5 days! The thunderstorms really are also spectacular! Must admit it does get a little disheartening once you have shopped, visited the museum etc. and 'bar hopped' a little but usually there is a good atmosphere in town during bad weather (seige mentality?!) and am sure you will manage to fit all your sightseeing and r & r around it. Enjoy!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

We consider ourselves lucky to have been caught in a particularly heavy thunderstorm/rainstorm as we were making our way to the marina in Sorrento one day.It started as we were making our way down the steep cobble streets (if you are facing the sea it was about as far left as you could go in the resort) - and the rain was gushing after us in huge streams. We ran to one of the local restaurants - which had some kind of awning and watched the rest of the storm whilst drinking cappuccino's. It was wonderful. the video footage I got on my camera was amazing.

I would recommend it.

Hard to plan ofcourse but don't worry about the weather! Italy is full of surprises and a little hard rain won't damage your experience I am sure.

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

Latest weather forecast not so bad according to the weather channel website - a chance of light rain and scattered shower on 2 of the days - and then the weather improves all the time for the rest of your stay so you will get to see those lovely views...

In my experience, the weather is generally not as bad as forecast.. We had a week of thunderstorms promised in Lido di Jesolo 2 years ago, it was humid right enough, but we only had rain a couple of nights and didn't see any during the day...

Just in case... we take some books and the dice game yahtzee for whiling away the time during an odd spell of rain. Also tend to have an extra long leisurely lunch and few glasses of Prosecco, things seem a bit brighter after that!!

I am sure you will have a great time, happy anniversary!

9. Re: HELP - What to do/where to go when weather bad in Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 06:20