We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Il Buco resaurant help please !

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
275 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hello all

Will be in Sorrento next weeak nd would like the following info (if possible) on Il Buco

What should we expect to pay for dinner/lunch ?

Do you think we are too late to reserve a table for next week ?

Is it located in the center of Sorrento ?

Many thanks

milwaukee, wi
Level Contributor
513 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Don't know answer to 1 but it is in the center near Tasso Square and one would think a week would be ample time for a reservation.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hi foz72

Don't think Il Buco is open for lunch - could be wrong?

However, it is located near the centre of town, down what appears to be quite a small and dark alleyway on the way down towards the coast from the main Tasso Square in the town. Easily walkable if you are staying in Sorrento. In our experience it is defn. best to book - if you are looking for it as a special occasion then make your reservation as soon as you arrive in Sorrento. Price? Not cheap but you are looking at a high class restaurant - they do have a website but it is not too good with samples of menu selections / prices etc. We generally find that if we want to eat somewhere specifically, or at a particular table somewhere, then it is best to walk in a couple of days beforehand and make a reservation.

Out of interest - why Il Buco in particular - you must have read something good about it?! We go to Sorrento again in a couple of weeks and there are other good restaurants also.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
275 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hi newboldbob

I have seen a couple of reviews for this restaurant that said it was really good. I understand it is a Michelin starred restaurant so i just wanted to check the price in case we got a shock !!

I have had a look at their website and it doesn't really give any prices...

Do you have any reccomendations, I have read that delfino's is very good ??

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hi foz72

We can't honestly remember what we have paid for meals there but it is certainly the most expensive restaurant in Sorrento in our experience. From memory the menu is posted outside the restaurant at the entrance so you can walk down and have a look before you book and not get such a shock at the prices! (Most restaurants do this).

For other recommendations - across the board - would suggest Giginios in the old part of town for everything from stonebaked pizzas, fresh pasta and seafood through to chateaubriand. (For example chateaubriand, a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a bottle of water costs approx. 70 euros - excellent value). Also recommend Lanterna 1 as a good all rounder, just off the main Tasso Square, Azzurros down in Marina Grande for seafood while sitting on a deck on the beach, Pizzeria Aurora on Tasso for 50 different types of pizza plus fresh pasta. There is also a restaurant recommended and used by the locals up in the hills - it is called Zio Sams - where they do a fantastic seafood parcel in foil that everyone raves about. (We have been a few times and each time the taxi driver has known the owner and sits with him having coffee until we have finished our meal and then takes us back down the hill - quite bizarre!)

Carusos - they do have a good website - used to be excellent and considered to be in the same class as Il Buco (but without the Michelin Stars) but in our opinion had dropped in standard last year as they have expanded massively and also opened up a pizzeria next door - which again we didn't rate but other posters have. Also at the high budget end is L'Antica Trattoria - again personal opinion but we thought overrated and over priced. There is another restaurant along the main street Corso Italia on the right hand side as you head towards the hills - can't remember what it is called but it is in a garden through a gateway - which is also very good. Photo Bar also gets excellent reviews - we tried to eat lunch there in March on a short break but at that time at least they only opened for dinner - we will certainly be trying it in a couple of weeks or so though!

Obviously these suggestions are not in the same league as Il Buco but all have their merits - you will not go hungry in Sorrento that's for sure! Just remember that it is usually best to book the night before if you want a specific table or area of a restaurant - outside seating is usually at a premium for example - although we aren't 'cosmopolitan' and like to sit down to eat before 9 - 9.30p.m. as the Italians tend to do! Buon Appetito!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
133 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

My husband and I went for dinner Il Buco last year and it was out of this world. I do not think it is open for lunch. The food and service were second to none and if I can remember we paid just over £100 for a three course meal, pre dinner drinks and coffee and liquers.

May I suggest that you book the restaurant as soon as you get to sorrento as it is always full booked. I also think it may be closed on Tuesday evenings

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hi, my husband and I just ate at Il Buco on May 8 and it was fantastic! It was the best meal we had in Italy. We got lucky...we walked by about 6:30 and got a reservation for 8:30. We sat outside in the quaint alleyway...very private and romantic. When we sat down, they brought us a glass of Proseco on the house. After we ordered, they brought us a sample of appetizers, compliments of the chef. Our meal was delicious and we were very full so didn't get dessert. Well, once again they brought us a complimentary desert sampling that was out of this world. I would definitely recommend this restaurant, so see if you can get a table! Good luck and enjoy! OH, the price wasn't too bad. I think we paid about 70 euros for 2, which included wine.

san francisco
Level Contributor
162 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hello there,

il Buco is open for lunch and dinner Thursdays through Tuesdays. il Buco is closed on Wednesdays.

Buon appetito

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
10 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Il Buco is open every day for lunch and dinner but is closed all day Wednesday. The Table D'hote menu is from about 40 euro per person and a la carte can be as much as 80 euros - 100 euros each for 3 courses but you can just have 1 course if you wish.

It is situated in II Rampe Marina Piccola which is by the side of the Theatre and there are tables outside or in the air conditioned restaurant. If you want to eat outside you should book a couple of days in advance.

The food is Italian with a modern twist and the portions are not huge but if you want something different, with great service then try it. Caruso is much more traditional as is Trattoria Antica which are both a similar price, although Il Buco is the only Michelin starred restaurant actually in Sorrento, the other nearest is D'Alfonso in S. Agata.

wales
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Hello All

I am getting married in Sorrento next year and I am looking for a restaurant for a table of 15 guests, can any body recomend a good restaurant.

I thought of booking into Il Buco then drinks later in the Photo Bar? Or, does anybody know of a good restaurant by the sea?

thanks

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Il Buco resaurant help please !

Caruso is a good traditional choice