We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't take the bus, take a ferry instead!

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Don't take the bus, take a ferry instead!

Just a word of caution to those of you going to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast and do not do well with motion sickness... don't take the bus from Sorrento to Positano... it is a 1 hour ride and the roads are so curvy you will be sick by the time you get there!

The ferrys on the other hand are very convenient. But you may need to plan ahead since the last one of the day leaves around 6-7pm.

Have a great trip!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't take the bus, take a ferry instead!

That's great advice especially during this time of year. The SITA buses we've been on have been packed (Sunday buses at 10am Salerno -> Amalfi, 3pm from Vettica Maggiore (Praiano)->Amalfi, 3pm Cetara-Salerno) so definitely, ferries offer a less crowded alternative if not a smoother ride in general. Also, when traffic comes to a halt on the SS163 Costiera road, ferries head right to their destination.

The only snag I've ever heard was in the Spring when a Sorrento-Positano boat hit a fisherman's net and the boat had to wait for another boat to transfer passengers. Also, Positano tends to close its ports in bad weather faster than any other city/town.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,577 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't take the bus, take a ferry instead!

The only downside of using the boat, in my opinion, is that you just don't get the same views... There's nothing quite like getting off the bus at the top of Via Cristoforo Colombo and strolling down into town..... it's quite breathtaking!

I think a good idea - which we recommended to my mother-in-law in May, and it went down a treat - is to get the bus to Positano and a boat back. Then you have the best of both worlds (and it saves the trek back UP the hill !!)

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't take the bus, take a ferry instead!

Good advice,the best views and photo opportunities of Positano are to be had when arriving or departing by boat

4. Re: Don't take the bus, take a ferry instead!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 00:17