We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

Essex
Level Contributor
64 posts
Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

My wife and I will be visiting Pompeii in mid-June and we have the option of a morning or afternoon tour. What would people recommend as the better time to visit please? My thinking is the morning is when most people arrive but I could be wrong. We are staying in Sorrento and the train seems to be the easiest route to the ruins.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

5 replies to this topic
County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Sorrento Coast, Ischia, Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
13,407 posts
42 reviews
251 helpful votes
1. Re: Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

Hi

I would opt for the morning to avoid most of the blistering heat of the afternoon in June. We went in June and it was roasting hot. Pompeii is huge and can take 4 hours to see almost everything.

Eddie

Edited: 25 February 2024, 13:59
Essex
Level Contributor
64 posts
2. Re: Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

Thanks very much Eddie. Can I assume there isn't much shelter? Hot is something we can deal with but blistering hot would be another matter. Whilst I expect it to be very busy, would you think it would be much less busy in the afternoon?

Thanks again.

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Sorrento Coast, Ischia, Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
13,407 posts
42 reviews
251 helpful votes
3. Re: Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

Hi

There's not much shelter so take a sun hat and water etc. I think it's busy most of the time in June but you might be lucky.

Eddie

Albion, New York
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
29 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

When Pompeii is well and truly roasting, it’s hot even in the shade. Like the previous poster said, bring a hat (or parasol) and plenty of water.

Essex
Level Contributor
64 posts
5. Re: Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning

I'll be certain to do that, have had previous experience walking round ruins in the heat.

Thanks again for your replies.

Reply to: Pompeii Tour : Afternoon or Morning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.