We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

Ireland
Level Contributor
166 posts
14 reviews
14 helpful votes
Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

Hi there,

Heading to Sorrento for first week in April. Have âked questions before here relating to hotels close to the centre & not too hilly to walk to get the ferry to Capri.

However, some hotels are still closed with Easter eing so early as inthe Plazza hotel. There are very view with pool open for that week ad in Hotel Eden & Michael Angelohotel . I love a short dip in the pool after sightseeing all day as the water relieves my bad knees. Mobility for lots of steps not great because of "arthritiic knees" so a location near the centre but with easy loaccess to the sea is important.

I have narrowed my hotels down to Hotel Rivage or Grand Caeser Augusto hotel which belong to Hotiday chain of hotels which I didn't know until I provisionally booked it!! Hote Conca Park keeps coming up but not sure of location being flat or hilly.

Any thoughts on any of above would be appreciated.

TIA.

eiram Ireland

. Is it easier to locate yourself @ top of Sorrento to walk to port/ sea or visa versa.0p

6 replies to this topic
County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Sorrento Coast, Ischia, Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
13,399 posts
42 reviews
251 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

Hi

Hotel Rivage is handy for the Marina Grande which has a small coarse-pebble beach, two excellent sunbathing platforms with access to the sea and it's surrounded by good restaurants at reasonable prices.

The walk from hotel Rivage to Marina Grande is down an ancient path with some steps near the bottom and should take about 10 minutes, slightly longer on the way back because of the gentle hill. It's also handy for the Sorrento Lift which takes you to the Marina Piccola. It has the ferry point and "beach clubs" and swimming in the sea in Sorrento cures all my ills. It's probably a 7 minute walk to Piazza Tasso.

All the other hotels you mention are in central Sorrento, and it's flat, but they are a further walk to the sea although there are buses to both marinas.

Some walking directions below and some general advice. Ignore the Coast To Coast Coach because it stopped running during Covid and hasn't returned.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k13456504-o10-Sorrento_advice_and_walking_directions_part_two-Sorrento_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

There is lots of good advice on your other two posts.

Eddie

Edited: 27 February 2024, 16:20
New York
Level Contributor
56,419 posts
2. Re: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

If it matters to you, have you checked that the pools will be heated or not? Many are not and you may not mind the cold water.

Also keep in mind that Capri is pretty much pedestrian only and there are parts that are hilly - for example, the walk up/down to Villa San Michele in Anacapri and parts of the island on the so-called "Capri town" side - Just a heads up so you are sure to wear very comfortable shoes for the island

Sorrento
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
16 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

Even if the hotels have pools they will be closed until May if not heated so you should check the kind of pool you find in each hotel

Ireland
Level Contributor
166 posts
14 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

Thanks to replies to date. I don't have a problem with non-heated pools. Both hotels that I'm looking at have outdoor pools. Any thoughts on Grand Hotel Cesare Augusto re' food & general hospitality. How would you get to the port/sea from there?

Thanks again.

eiram.

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Sorrento Coast, Ischia, Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
13,399 posts
42 reviews
251 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

Hi

Hotel Cesare Augusto has a small rooftop pool with a restaurant. It's set way back from the sea but you can see Vesuvius from the rooftop pool. You'll need to read the reviews about the food. The receptionists were pleasant enough when we went onto the rooftop and the people we met seemed to be enjoying themselves.

It is just a 5 minute walk to Piazza Tasso and you can follow the walking directions provided on the link on Post 1 to both marinas. Most of the routes are described and the easiest routes are below.

Turn left at Piazza Tasso along the Corso Italia to the 3-tier Bell Tower. From the Bell Tower, cross the pedestrianised street and walk down the narrow alley called Via Padre Reginaldo Giuliani. Go past the nearby Monnalisa Bar and continue straight ahead past Davide’s Gelateria which is a pleasant stroll and you will come to Hotel Tramontano.

For the Marina Grande, turn left at Hotel Tramontano then right. Go past the entrance to Hotel Bellevue Syrene and pass the Hotel Continental on the left. Walk down the ancient path and when you reach the bottom turn right. Go down some steps and through the 2500 year old Greek Gate. Should take 20 to 25 minutes.

For Marina Piccola and the ferry point, turn right at Hotel Tramontano then left. The Sorrento Lift is clearly marked in the gardens and there are steps down the cliff on the right hand side. The Lift website is below with a map.

https://www.sorrentolift.it/en/

Eddie

Edited: 27 February 2024, 18:12
Scotland
Level Contributor
390 posts
62 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto

We stayed in the Cesare Augusto in 22, could not get near the rooftop pool as it is small and always crowded, food was ok, we were half board, the dinner menu was always on the board outside the breakfast room in the morning and we had dinner ever night except once as we don’t like fish, rooms fine. Not far from the centre and it has stairs at the back of hotel that are easier than walking up the hill.

Reply to: Hotel Rivage or Grand Hotel Caesre Agusto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.