We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt vesuvius and pompeii

Birmingham, United...
10 posts
Mt vesuvius and pompeii

I'm staying in sorrento and have a flight from naples at 18.30pm. I was thinking of climbing vesuvius and seeing pompeii. Assuming I need to be at the airport by 1600. I was thinking of getting train to pompeii and seeing pompeii by 11.00 and then bus to vesuvius 12.00 and do the climb 14.00. Bus to ernolocum 1500.

Or should I climb vesuvius first(shall take bus from pompeii scavi or ernocolum?) and then do pompeii? And then make my way to naples airport. Is it actually doable or too tight?

5 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
51 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Mt vesuvius and pompeii

It's doable, but it sounds pretty stressful when you add making a flight to the end of the day.

When is this trip? Unless it's in the winter heat is going to be an issue at both places, but I think I'd want the exertion of climbing a steep hill for a mile over as early in the day as possible.

One problem with your plan is that the only bus options are round trip from Pompei, or round trip from Ercolano. There's no way to arrive from one place and depart to the other.

Also consider what you're going to do with your luggage while you're doing all of this.

Birmingham, United...
10 posts
2. Re: Mt vesuvius and pompeii

Trip is next week.

Luggage- I'm going to put it in pompeii scavi Station storage facility if it's still available.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
51 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Mt vesuvius and pompeii

So you'd have to go back to Pompei after Vesuvio to pick up your luggage, if nothing else.

I don't know the hours of the luggage storage office, but hopefully it is open early enough to allow you to make the first bus to Vesuvio, just after 8:30. Schedule here: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavbus/808_POMPEI-VESUVIO_dal1.10_0.pdf

You do know, I hope, that tickets for Vesuvio must be purchased on-line in advance. At this time of year it shouldn't be an issue getting the time you want, even if you only purchase the day before. The only site for purchase is here, just click on the "tickets" bar: https://www.parconazionaledelvesuvio.it/en/visit-the-park/the-paths/the-great-cono-2/

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
51 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Mt vesuvius and pompeii

One way to save time and lessen stress would be to take the bus from Pompei directly to the airport, rather than the train to Naples followed by a bus to the airport.

Curreri requires a reservation in advance for a departure from Pompei: https://www.curreriviaggi.it/en/naples-airport-shuttle

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
113 reviews
236 helpful votes
5. Re: Mt vesuvius and pompeii

You would be talking a massive chance with trying to pack all of that into a short time and getting to the airport in time for your flight. We took an organised tour to Pompeii in a morning, followed by Vesuvius in an afternoon. Weather was perfect and we had excellent guides and no hanging around waiting for transport. You have to factor in transport running to time and that there are no hold ups on any part of the trip.

Edited: 06 March 2024, 01:34
Reply to: Mt vesuvius and pompeii
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.