We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Query re travel from Sorrento to Rome

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
malta
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Query re travel from Sorrento to Rome

We will be coming to Sorrento for a week in mid July and we intend going for a day to Rome. From my best knowledge the cheapest and fastest way is by train from Sorrento to Rome via Naples. If I���m not mistaken there are three train stations in Naples Centro Derizionale, Garibaldi and Porta Nolana- Corsa Garibaldi. Could someone tell me whether P.GA stands for Porta Nolana- Corsa Garibaldi. (got it from Treni Italia web-site time table) and do the trains stop in these stations? Are Napoli Centrale, Mergellina and Campi Flegrei also train stations?

One last question do you know if there are direct buses from Sorrento to Rome and vice-versa,is there a time table?

Thanks a lot for your help.

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Query re travel from Sorrento to Rome

Take a train to Rome from Naples Centrale or Naples Piazza Garibaldi, both station are in the same building, one upstairs and one downstairs.

There is a bus called Marozzi direct from Sorrento to Rome and viceversa. From Sorrento it leaves at 6.30 am ( from Monday to Saturday) and also at 5.00 pm ( Friday, Saturday and Sunday)and the first one arrives at 9.00, the second one arrives at 8.00 pm, both in Roma Tiburtina.

Instead from Rome to Sorrento it leaves at 7.00 am ( from Monday to Saturday) and at 3.00 pm ( Friday, Saturday and Sunday). They will arrive in Piazza Tasso the main square of Sorrento.

malta
Level Contributor
63 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Query re travel from Sorrento to Rome

Thanks J30 for your help. I think we will catch the bus in the morning so that we will arrive earlier than by train (hoping that there will be less traffic) and at least we get a nice view of Italy.

In the evening we intend coming back by train since the bus leaves Rome a bit early, do you know if there is a later bus for Sorrento at around 7-9pm?

It seems that the best train to catch is the Eurostar,are the other trains not up to standard???(intercity etc..)

Could anyone tell me which is the place to do shopping near shopping apart of Naples. Is there a flea market in the Sorrento.

Thanks for your help.