We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples Garbage Problem

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Naples Garbage Problem

We are planning a trip to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast in late April, early May. I have heard and seen much about the garbage problem in Naples and wondered if it might present problems, either with transit in and out of Naples or with odors and other noxious effects in Pompeii and along the coast. I am concerned that the warm weather will only make it worse. Thanks

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples Garbage Problem

Although I did not stay in Naples I was in transit at the train station there for quite a few hours. The garbage did not pose as much as a threat as the beggers did. I did not experience any problems with odours or anything else relating to garbage in Naples in Sorrento, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

Bath
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples Garbage Problem

Hi, i'm guy from Sorrento. In theese days the new plan for the garbage is started; Mr. De Gennaro who was in charge of the Italian police in the past is in charge now of all the situation. I reckon in the next few weeks, and for sure before the season starts (generally 1st march) all the rubbish will be removed. Few places such us Sorrento and Amalfi coast have less problems at the moment and will be probably the first to be entirely cleaned.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples Garbage Problem

Sorrento and the Sorrentine Peninsula are amongst the cleanest in Campania, together with Salerno and the amalfi Coast.

We do selective garbage collection here....

In Naples, the situation is very terrible within suburbs. The city has its problesm, yes, we cannot deny, but nothing compared to the immediate suburbs.

As the other post said, we hope Mr. De Gennaro (poor, I would never have hios job) can help the situation to be back on track !

In any circumstance, I can say that this does not take the beauty and warmth of the people. As a foreigner that reside here, I think that the people are so valuable and the places to see are so interesting, that the garbage stands as written words on the headlines....

You will love Sorrento and the aea.

Take Care,

Cinthya

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples Garbage Problem

Thank you. That is very reassuring.

5. Re: Naples Garbage Problem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 22:20