We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sorrento??

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kensington, london
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Sorrento??

After a tour of Tuscany, we were planning to return our rental car and head onto Sorrento for 4 days. We will not be arriving into Naples until Wednesday evening (7-8:00). After much research, I am finding our options are limited. Car return locations are closed, ferries will have stop running and I have read on this forum that the train from Naples to Sorrento may not be so safe at night.

So... we found a rental agency that will let us return the car on Thursday morning in downtown Sorrento (close to our hotel- Grand Royal). Are we crazy to try this? How busy/scary is the ride? Anybody have any advice/suggestions?

Thanks.

Lake District
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Sorrento??

No your not crazy! I have driving around this area many times. In both my UK car and hire cars. Just be careful and do not keep handbags etc in sight with your windows open. This applies particularly to Naples and until you have passed Castellamere di Stabia. Italian driver are much more forgiving than Uk drivers.

Once off the autostrada and through Castellamare it is a very pleasent drive with fantastic views of Vesuvious, Capri and Sorrento.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
850 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Sorrento??

You will be fine driving from Tuscany to Sorrento. We flew into Rome this past April and drove down to Positano. We then drove from Positano back up to Florence - the reverse of the trip you are planning.

The drive from Tuscany to Sorrento will be almost all autostrada, with a small section getting to the autostrada when you leave Tuscany and another small section when you leave the Autostrada south of Naples and head toward Sorrento. Neither of these is a bad drive. You will not be on the Almalfi Coast drive at all, which is the road that most people find somewhat intimidating.

I think you will really enjoy this drive. It is not a long drive, so stop along the way if you have time. We stopped at Orvieto for lunch and an hour of just walking around. It is a really lovely town.

Talk to your hotel and see where you can park on Wednesday night. It is always nice to have that planned out so that you don't spend a lot of time looking for a parking spot near your hotel.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Sorrento??

50C = Agree totally with Mom83 (mom - I'm a former Ohioian!) - I've done similar drives twice, the last time in May. Italian roads are in very good condtion and direction signage is superb. I used the Michelin driving directions web site a lot - and I also used both Tour Italy and Michelin driving maps.

viamichelin.com/viamichelin/…MaHomePage.htm

Word of caution however - you need to use all your rear view mirrors - anyone driving big expensive German cars like to blow by you at extremely high speeds - just keep to the right in the right hand lane and you will be fine. As mom said - the drive along the Sorrentino Peninsula to Sorrento is beautiful, not scary at all, but you should be prepared for very heavy traffic in the last 4-5 miles before you actually enter the city proper.

jme
allentown, pa
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Sorrento??

MOM83,

First of all, I want to thank you for all your help with our trip. Our family really enjoyed Italy and your advice was a great help.

50crescent--

We returned two days ago and drove into Sorrento from Assisi. Took about 5 hours of actual driving but we added another two hours for stops.

Autostrada was very easy to navigate and I agree with everything others have said about the roads. I passed about half the drivers on the highway and had to be careful with the other half of the drivers who were speeding at over 140k per hour. Use all your car mirrors.

The most difficult part of the drive south was after A-3 when you take the exit for Castelmare. The road is very pretty but also very crowded with scooter/motorcycles passing on both your right and your left along very narrow roads.

I enjoy driving and I've driven in New York City with the taxi drivers. And even I was concerned with the combination of pedestrians, unfamiliar roads and signs, and the scooters.

But we did 8 days of driving with a couple of close calls but not any accidents!

I don't know what it will be like for you adjusting to driving on the right side along with everything else.

If you pick up the rhythm of the drivers (it's like a well synchronized dance) and remain confident, you'll do fine. Italian drivers react very quickly which helps those of us not as familiar with the driving scene.

Best of luck!

kensington, london
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Sorrento??

Thanks for the great responses. Although we are living in London, we are from the east coast and have lots of experience with NY driving so my husband says he is up to the task! Luckily, I just get to enjoy the view! I am so happy to hear that others have done the trip and have enjoyed it. Since we are traveling with our 21 month old son, I am sure we will take a little longer as we plan to stop to eat/stretch/play!. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to stop along the way? Where is Oviedo (spelling?)?