We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

Last week we followed through on our plans to pick up a rental car in Rome, drive down to Sorrento, and then to drive the Amalfi Coast.

The traffic was OK, we didn't get horrendously lost, we enjoyed the trip from Rome to Sorrento, and last but not least the Amalfi Coast is not scary or steep or any of the other things that we expected. It was the same sort of twisting, curvy roads that you drive along the France/Spain coast or driving up to Peillon in France, or in some mountain ranges in the US. We didn't find the Rome or Naples traffic to be especially bad either. It was the typical big European city traffic that we've driven elsewhere. The one lucky thing for us on the Amalfi Coast drive is probably that the traffic was relatively light since we are off season. We also had an automatic transmission so no gear shifting was needed.

For anyone who has considered driving but was convinced to take public transportation instead, you need to know that it is extremely do-able. And enjoyable! I couldn't imagine not having the freedom of our own timetable and being able to carry on conversations in the car. Plus we could load our shopping in the trunk.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

Delighted to get this information!

Sure the traffic is a lot worse in high season but we are going next month and intend hiring a car to go to Paestum.

I had been wondering if the Amalfi coast would be worth the hassle but thanks to you will give it a go!

Thanks!

Caterina

uk
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

This time of year its not a problem.

Peak season....forget it!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

It's a lot more fun in the peak season when both lanes are lined with gigantic tour buses, many, many cars, pedestrians, and it's bumper to bumper!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

Having driven this road yearly since the 1960's on a motorbike you are lucky you went in the off season. I have see the road being a huge traffic jamb even to two wheeled transport in August. A word of warning for Caterina travelling down to Paestum, south of Salerno you have a very long straight bit of road where the sand sometimes drifts accross, if you drift off the road into the soft sand you car stopps dead and gets stuck. This is also the 'Red Light Area' but in the afternoon. so beware of trying to wave down a car if you have a problem. The temples of Paestum however are well worth the trip.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
678 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

It is very pleasant to drive at this time of the year, specially that the weather has kept the crowds to come and they are coming later.

We wish loads of parking spots were available during the Peak season. Ten everyone could drive, but as the Coast is quite small in space and one way in and one way out, imagine the double of the whole population of the coast staying within the area....

Well, it is lovely to see everyone around, but driving becomes a hassle.

I hope more and more people decide to travel on the off season although the majority of the establishments are still closed during January and February. Things warm up after Easter.

I am very pleased you enjoyed. It is an unforgarttable scenario !

Take Care

Cinthya

montreal
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

Great news about driving the A.Coast.

My husband & I are going 2wks in Oct. We love to rent a car and

drive, having done the Gorge de Verdun & the Corniche from

MonteCarlo to Cann we thought the Amalfi would be the same.

I have upgraded our rental to a sporty convertible ...a surprise for husband's 60th birthdy (used $$ that I'd been saving for a face lift!!!) Your review has reassured us about driving.

Thanks

7. Re: YES It can be done! We drove Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 07:20