We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to Rome

boston, ma
5 posts
Save Topic
Sorrento to Rome

I am a fist time traveler to southern Italy and would love a recommendation on the best way to travel from Sorrento to Rome (specifically right to the airport) and how long this will take. Thanks!

United Kingdom
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to Rome

You can travel to Rome Termini Station from Naples Centrale you get the circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Naples the main line station is above the Sorrento line its easy. From Rome termini you can get the express train directly into Fiumicino airport they run about every half and hour.

You can also get a bus from Piazza Tasso Sorrento 6-0am weekday and Saturdays buy the tickets from travel agents in Sorrento, it takes you to Rome Tiburtina bus station just in front of buses is Tiburtina train station where you can also get a train directly into Fiumicino airport they also run about every half an hour or so.

If you want Ciampino airport get the metro Line A from Rome termini to the end of the line Anagnina where there is a bus station there you will get a bus to the airport it is clearly marked.

Just a word of warning be careful of your money, cards etc., keep them close to you best in a money belt under clothes as there are plenty of pickpockets in Naples and Rome especially the train stations while there is no danger to your person they would love to relieve you of your money and cards so don't make it easy for them.

Hope you find this a help have a lovely holiday

United Kingdom
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to Rome

Forgot to say how long it takes, the train from Sorrento into Naples takes just over 1 hour, Naples to Rome between 2-3 hours on the fast trains, slower trains do take longer as they stop quite often best to take fast train even though its more expensive its worth it.

Bus from Sorrento weekdays because of traffic can take about 4 hours or more, on a Saturday it took us 2 1/2hours with no traffic.

Express train from Termini about 30 mins, from Tiburtina about 50mins to Fiumicino.

Metro from Termini to end of line Anagnina about 30mins then bus to Ciampino about 20mins

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to Rome

I took a bus in the early morning from Sorrento to Rome and it was really easy!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to Rome

I just got back from my italy trip and we drove to Sorrento. We were staying in Rome and it took us about 2.5 hours. It was a great ride and I highly recomend it. People were telling my how crazy it is to drive there but it is not bad at all. I would not travel past sorrento but up to sorrento it is not bad. Only 3 roads from Rome: A1, A3 and the main road in Sorrento. Just make sure you rent a good car. The one we rented was not in good condition and the clutch burned out, but if I had to do it again I would rent a automatic. Good luck

italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to Rome

Dear Keegan

You ask for the best way not the most economic.

The best way is to rent a car with driver and you will be to Rome airport in 3 hours.

italy
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to Rome

Dear Keegan

You ask for the best way not the most economic.

The best way is to rent a car with driver and you will be to Rome airport in 3 hours.

Discovery Bay, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento to Rome

Keegan- We thought the only way to to is by train. Easy and comfortable. We took the eurostar and were in Naples in 90 minutes. We then took the train to Sorrento (took another hour). It economical! w/ no headaches of the driving in Italy. Our friends rented a car, it took them 5 hours to get down and had a difficult time navigating the freeway systems. And on the way back go stuck in a 2-hour traffic jam upon approaching rome. You could also hire a driver from Naples to Sorrento for about 90 euro. Have fun

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento to Rome

Anselmo and Ajetj (or anyone..):

Hi there:

Do you know where to find info about the buses (in English)?

My b-friend and I are going to Italy in Septmber/October. We're starting in Rome then going to Amalfi Coast (staying in Sorrento) then back to Rome. We're planning on the BUS to Sorrento over the train or a car. Seems easier w/luggage and perhaps safer.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento to Rome

Rachel-

The bus we took was at 6am and left from the center square in Sorrento, I'm not sure where to find it on the web but I know that your hotel should know in Sorrento! I think it was like a 3 hours bus ride!

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento to Rome

One option we once took was to find a travel company that had customers staying in Sorrento but flying back from Rome (eg people on 2 site hols) and check at their local office for vacant seats on their hired bus from Sorrento to the airport.

They are very willing to sell these seats to you and it means you have direct travel to the airport. Obviously you have to fit in with the company's times.