We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
247 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Hi we are going to Sorrento for two weeks at the very end of August beginning of September. We would like to go to Capri which other places would be top of other people's lists? We are staying at the Grand Ambasciatori is it fairly near to the place where you catch the ferry, train etc? We don't mind walking.

Hastings
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Hi, we have just returned from a week at the Grand de la ville which is owned by the same group as the Ambasciatori and is situated about 5 minutes away. are you going with a tour operator or on your own? The tour operator trips are, in my opinion, too expensive as most popular places are easily accessible if you are feeling adventurous!! We did Vesuvius half day at a cost of 27.00 euros each, plus the entrance fee of 6.50. You get a trip to a rock museum thrown in, if you like that sort of thing. Far better to catch the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Herculanum Scavi at a cost of 7.20 euros return for 2 people. Just outside Herculaneum station are taxis and minibuses to take you to the car park (but I dont know how much they are), and you walk the rest (well worth the view, and being able to say you've stared into the crater of an active volcano!!) We used the train to reach Pompei (same price for return ticket). The entrance to Pompei is just yards from the station. Entrance fee is 11.00 each, and if you want an audio guide take ID (we didn't) ie drivers licence, which they hold till you return the audio device. Also take water..there is a restaurant on site. Also by train we went to Herculaneum, getting off at Herculaneum Scavi (just walk straight down the road for 10 minutes or so). Entrance fee also 11.00 euros each, it is much better preserved, and much smaller so easier to see in a shorter space of time. Again take water - no facilities on site except loos at the entrance building.

Tour operator prices for these two sites are about 33.00 euors half day (and you still pay the entrance fees on top so far cheaper by train)

We went to Capri on the ferry (toupr operator price 69.00euros plus extra for various boat trips) The ferry cost us 20 euros return. Ok so you dont get a guide, and have to find your way about yourself but thats not so bad. There is a cliff railway up to Capri town, and buses - also to Ana Capri which we didn't do. We walked up to the town but its a long haul up narrow passages so don't do it unless you feel energetic.

We did the Amalfi drive with the tour operator, which was nice. The views are spectacular..the guide was very good. There was an optional boat trip for 10 euros which we didn't do, but you stop in Amalfi, and Ravello for a 13 euro lunch. The trip cost us 32.50 each plus lunch, but you can do this much cheaper by bus.

Your hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the station (train and bus) and about 15- 20 minutes from the port and town centre.

We had an absolutely fabulous time in Sorrento and will be going back without a doubt. Its beautiful and vibrant and very very warm!!

I hope you have a fantastic holiday and I hope all this information helps

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

The "must see" places in the area are Capri, Positano, Amalfi and Pompeii. They are all easily accessible by public transport - Amalfi and Positano by the SITA bus, Pompeii by the Circumvesuviana train and Capri by ferry or hydrofoil.

I also recommend taking the train into Naples. It is a truly beautiful city well worth exploring.

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

If you want to visit Naples, a good way is to use the ferry from Sorrento. When you get to the other side use the HopOn-HopOff bus service which will take you to some of the main sites including the Archeological(sp?) Museum. It is also an interesting and safe way to see Neapolitan drivers in action!

The bus stop/terminal was the other side of the Castle from the ferry port and across a very busy road, but we survived, check whether this is still the case. You can get leaflets about the service from the Tourist Office at the Foreigners Club. One tip, allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ferry if you want to catch a particular boat, the traffic can be horrendous.

Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Hello what tour operator did you use for the Almafi coast day and lunch ?

Also, we are a family of 3 2 adults one 11 year old. Is the Grand Hotel Aminta a good choice or is it too far out of the way in Sorrento?

Thankyou.

Hastings
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Hi

We travelled with First Choice and used their rep to book the two trips we did with them. The Amalfi one was well worth it as the coach stops at various vantage points to allow for photos, and we took loads!

I wasn't sure where the Aminta was so I just checked a map and it is some way out of Sorrento centre however we chatted with other tourists while there who were staying at various hotels out of town and I beleive most hotels run courtesy buses in and out of town on a fairly regular basis. Walking into town is possible however slightly hairy as I dont beleive there are too many pavements and Italian driving has to be seen to be beleived!!

Hope this helps

Hastings
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the 13 euro lunch is a big let down, lettuce & tomatoes follwed by a choice of either pasta in tomato sauce or some sort of pancake and a small dessert. Your get free water and one free glass of wine but any other drinks are charged. You would be better off walking straight down into Ravello and buying lunch in one of the restaurants there!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Thank you so much. I will keep all this information. We are going with Thomson A La Carte, unfortunately as they treated us very badly earlier in the year. We booked two holidays back in November with Thomson and decided even though their customer service is abysmal we wanted to go on this holiday and so we would stick with it and make it our last trip with them. Will take your advice about the trips. We like walking and exploring so will probably do a lot on our own but may take the Amalfi trip. Thanks again we are really looking forward to it now.

Twigs

Hastings
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Sorry to hear that Thomson gave you a hard time. I have to say I have noticed that they are more expensive than first Choice - even though they are now the same company. I am sure you will enjoy your holiday as much as we did - Sorrento is a fantastic place and getting about is so easy. We will definately go back as there is so much more we want to see, but will avoid Thomsons!!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

A day to enjoy Amalfi & Ravello are a must but take the ferry / Hydrofoil as you will waste 3hrs of the day on the Sita bus. Ravello is only 20mins by bus from Amalfi. A day in Capri, but go straight up to Anacapri as soon as you arrive and work your way back down [Give the 'Blue Grotto' a miss]Herculanium for half a day by train from Sorrento [Get off at Ercolano and site entrance is only 300mts] far better preserved than Pompeii, you can then get the bus from Ercolano up the volacano [take 'Closed' shoes as it will be very dusty]. a day or two just to explore & enjoy Sorrento. But unless you are into serious cloths shopping or are a lover of climbing up and down stepps admire Possitano from the ferry and give it a miss.

Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Sorrento what would people consider must do's?

Thank you. How do you get to Ana capri from the ferry?