We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

My wife and I will be in Naples for the first time for one day on a cruise ship from 7 am to 7 pm. So far we were planning on doing Pompeii for sure, but after Pompeii would it be worth going down to Sorrento for lunch and walking around/relaxing? I was also considering going to Positano but it seems a bit far for one day. Any ideas? Another option is to do Vesuvius after Pompeii. Thanks in advance!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,243 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

Pompeii and Sorrento would be fine, Pompeii is tiring a few hours relaxing in Sorrento would be a good idea, a short Train journey from Pompeii, I think you would be too rushed to go to Positano, you could return to Naples from Sorrento by Hydrofoil,

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

That's what I was thinking. Thank you for your thoughts. Is Sorrento worth it though? We could do Vesuvius instead or just explore Naples and eat there. Like you said though I'm sure we'll be too tired after Pompeii to climb a volcano =P. Do you think eating & exploring in Sorrento would be better than these other options? Is there much else to do besides eat and walk around? Thanks again.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

That's what I was thinking. Thank you for your thoughts. Is Sorrento worth it though? Is there much else to do besides eat and walk around and can you recommend a good place to eat lunch? I would be fine with relaxing and eating in Naples as well but I'm not sure which would be better. If Sorrento is beautiful and relaxing we will probably just go there. Thanks again.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

Now, we love Sorrento and there are great transport links from the town to the whole Amalfi Coast. However, after Pompeii it might just be worth going straight back to Naples and wandering around and having lunch somewhere there if you have a deadline. Apparently the Museum in Naples now has most of the artefacts from Pompeii in situ as most have been removed from the site. Pompeii is also very large to do properly (and is very hot - take water and join a tour.) Maybe consider Herculaneum which is apparently better preserved - and is smaller than Pompeii, then visit the museum?

Would personally give Positano a miss on such a tight schedule as Sorrento is closer to Naples by road (1 1/2 hours or thereabouts), alternatively a jetfoil takes 35 minutes and the last one on the current timetable that would get you back in time leaves Sorrento at 16.25pm.

Love Sorrento for people watching, friendly people, great views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples, relaxed lunches though ........!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

BTW for a relaxed lunch in Sorrento would recommend Da Giginio which is just off the main Piazza Tasso (turn right at the limoncello works) for a small family run trattoria / pizzeria. Everything from fresh pasta, stonebaked pizza, fresh seafood through to chateaubriand and not far off the main drag. Very good value for money and very, very busy.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

Much as I enjoyed Sorrento, personally I would not visit it as part of a day trip. It is a REALLY busy hub for the whole of the Amalfi area and walking around it, (which would include a steep walk down and up from either harbour)after Pompei would be really tiring.

As previously posted, Pompei can be hard work and deserves most of a day on its own. I have visited twice, once from a cruise ship and then independently from my holiday in Sorrento and this showed me that in the limited time on the first visit, I did not really get a proper feel for it in the more restricted time.

Sorrento is also worthy of spending most of the day there, otherwise I think that it would not feel very different from any other busy tourist 'hotspot'.

7. Re: One Day In Naples, Is Sorrento Worth a Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 13:16