We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disabled access

uk
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
disabled access

Hi....have just booked a week at Hotel Grand Flora in Sorrento for my husband and I on 18th Sept.I last visited Sorrento about 15 years ago with a group of students and did all our excursions by bus and train...which was cheap and easy. The problem this time is my husband has severe arthritis with walking difficulties and he uses a wheelchair for distances. We obviously do not want to hire a car and would prefer not to spend a lot on Thomson excursions if we can manage on public transport. Has anyone with mobility problems had experience in Sorrento?How easy is it to get on/off buses and trains? Seem to remember getting the bus to Positano and being dropped off at top of the hill...long walk down to town....dont think I could push the wheelchair back up!Maybe boat back? Also if we get the train to Pompeii or Herrculaneum which is more accessible from station for wheelchair? am thinking the latter from other forums.I appreciate we may have to use some taxis to get to/from port but would like to do Amalfi coast either Capri or Ischia and Pompeii...many thanks for any comments or assistance

Texas
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: disabled access

I'm not sure about some of these questions, but:

a) Positano - walk down from the bus stop and take the boat back is definitely a plan. Then you could yet the little bus from the port in Sorrento up to town.

b) Pompeii streets strike me as very difficult in a wheelchair but Herculaneum is down a long quite noticeable hill from the train station. When we were there, a private minibus was offering rides back up which would work for you but I'm not sure how regular that service is.

Enjoy.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disabled access

I do not know the accesibily with local Transport, but Sorrento as you know is flat, and the Hotel Flora I would think would be easy to get around from what I remember,as you are going later in the season Buses etc sould not be so busy so you have more chance to take a wheelchair,

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disabled access

We went with my Mum in May this year and as she has mobility problems our Hotel organised us a wheelchair from a charitable organisation FOC. We only used it to get around Sorrento - didn't do day trips on public transport so can't help there - but the town itself was easy to navigate. If you do go to Positano you can catch the return bus from the town square without having to go back up to the top or - as you say, boat back could be an option.

Because the buses get so busy with locals there is often standing room only which obviously wouldn't work for your husband so perhaps the Thomson Tour for the Amalfi Coast would be your best option?

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disabled access

The local city buses in Sorrento have a wide middle door (the exit) which can be used for wheelchairs. There is also a clear area here. So getting to the port and back should be alright. I think the same type of bus is used in Positano. The SITA buses to Positano etc would be more difficult. They have narrow entrances with steeper steps. As hotel Flora is near the bus station , you could go and see. There is a lift at Sorrento train station, but you would have to negotiate a flight of steps at the others.

Best wishes

Pete.

uk
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: disabled access

Pete and others ....thanks for information....guess I will just have to check out situation when we arrive next Friday

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disabled access

Ischia....

As well as coming over by car/passenger ferry or hydrofoil via Naples, there are a couple of more direct methods for visiting Ischia.

Between 4th April and 31st October, an Alilauro hydrofoil leaves Sorrento each morning at 9.30 and crosses to the island's main harbour of Ischia Porto - returning at 17.20. Tickets are 18.50 Euro single or 35 Euro return. Their website is www.alilauro.it but I'd not expect that you'd need to book at this time of year!

Otherwise there's the M.N. Marine Club, whose Thursday "Green Tour" cruise visits the island, staying for a while at Ischia Ponte, as well as making several other stops - although not all of them will necessarily be very easy for your husband. And Ischia Ponte itself, while not quite Clovelly, isn't the easiest place to get around. One good thing though, maybe stemming from the number of thermal centre visitors - see below - is that the traffic is fairly accustomed to wheelchairs (motorised, pushed and self-propelled) being in the roadway, because the pavements are often either missing or too narrow!

Here's the ship they use, http://minicrociere.net/sorrento.html

Tour details in English here: http://minicrociere.net/GreenCruise.htm

Many of Ischia's 400,000 Italian and 100,000 foreign visitors have great faith in the effectiveness of its thermal spa waters for sufferers of rheumatism and arthritis. Not being so afflicted myself I can't vouch for any of the claims, other than to say that lots of them - Italians and Germans especially - come specifically for the treatments, often with support from their health service providers.

If it's of interest, you'll find my collection of pictures of Ischia and some information about the island here:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

And this is the 'Marine Club', manoeuvering towards the quay at Ponte: www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/116325502

Peter

7. Re: disabled access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:19