We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curreriviaggi

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Curreriviaggi

We are flying from Naples airport at 1pm on Monday afternoon.

We need to get there from Sorrento.

My questions are:

1) is the Curreriviaggi reliable, ie. do they normally leave on schedule?

2) what will traffic be like?

The bus is scheduled to leave at 10.30am and i was just wondering it that'll give us enough time to get to the airport? I think last check in is about 12.20pm

Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,850 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curreriviaggi

The service is very reliable, but the Traffic is something no one can forecast,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Curreriviaggi

Yes the buses are reliable, but as Sophie says the traffic is unpredictable. Naples airport, while not that big, can be really busy and can take a while to check in, then get through security control and passport control. Might be pushing it a bit, but that's for you to decide. The bus before, while getting you there early, might err on the side of caution.

Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curreriviaggi

I am making the same trip in May and have decided to take a boat from Naples to Sorrento. It's faster, more scenic, less pick pockets, and only a few more euros per person.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curreriviaggi

I haven't seen anything recently about problems caused by the repair work they were doing to the Seiano galleria section of the Via Sorrentina, but the original plan expected it to continue to the end of March?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k3302…

Anyone?

Peter

Liverpool
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Curreriviaggi

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info.

Can I take it from your attached post that the roads are going to be bad then?

I've clicked on the web address for AliLauro. Unfortunately i can't get the English version and I don't speak Italian. I was hoping you do. Have I read it correct, does a hydrofoil leave Sorrento at 10am? and will travel time be similar to the Campania Regione's time?

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curreriviaggi

If your flight departs at 1:00pm, I suggest that you get to Naples airport at 11:00am at the latest. In our experience, things tend to be fairly chaotic at the check-in, so give yourself plenty of time at the airport.

I would therefore take the earlier Curreri bus from Sorrento.

Enjoy!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Curreriviaggi

Bob - the simple answer is that I can't tell you how much disruption those roadworks are causing, or even if they're finished yet. Clearly spending a million Euro on providing extra hydrofoils to avoid them indicates delays were anticipated but whether they've materialised or not I really don't know.

I've nudged that other post, in the hope that someone living nearer or who has been recently might tell us, however - unless the local newspaper or TV news here cover it - you'll probably find out before I do!

One thing I would say though is that taking a 10.30 bus from Sorrento for a 1pm flight would be cutting things finer than I'd chose. This is from the FAQs on the airport's own website....

1. How many hours prior to departure should passengers arrive at the airport?

Passengers on domestic flights with only carry-on baggage should arrive at the airport at least one hour prior to the departure time indicated on their ticket. For international and charter flights, its best to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure time.

So they'd like you to be there before 11....

Alternatives then...

The most economical would be to take the Circumvesuviana railway and then the Alibus.

Otherwise you could take one of several sea crossings to the harbour in Naples and then either the Alibus or a taxi, depending on timing. Whilst there's not a huge amount of English on the Alilauro site, their current timetable - valid until 31st March - will download if you use this link: http://www.alilauro.it/orari.pdf

They have sailings from Sorrento at 08.20 and 10.00 - both of which should take under an hour.

(Where's the 09.30 when you want one!)

Otherwise, from all I've read, Sorrento taxis charge a fortune on this trip, although the private transfer services are less expensive.

This is probably all much easier to sort at the Tourist Info in Sorrento, however I'd strongly advise you to dismiss any thought of walking into the airport just 40 minutes before takeoff, even in March!

Peter

PS Just re-read the previous reply.... seems there's also an earlier bus?

w62
London
Level Contributor
796 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curreriviaggi

I'm now thoroughly confused. I am travelling to Sorrento next week and was fully intending on taking the bus from airport to Sorrento as recommended by friends. Now I am wondering if I should avoid it because of the roadworks. In which case do people think getting bus to Naples train station will be any quicker? How easy is it to get the ferry?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Curreriviaggi

w62,

I don't know how much the roadworks are affecting traffic, my advice is to allow yourself plenty time. Aim to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight is due to leave. The curreri viaggi bus is reliable and will get you there. It might mean you having to take an earlier bus and being there too early but rather that than too late.

You will find your options about getting there on this link here, just do the reverse journey tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k33…

Also possible, 1) train from Sorrento to Naples, then Alibus to airport 2) Ferry sorrento to Naples then Alibus to airport (this bus does a loop from airport, station and port). All details are in the above link, just ensure you are looking at the appropriate timetables.

Elliejay

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Curreriviaggi

w62 - elliejay may not have appreciated that you're heading to Sorrento, rather than in the opposite direction.

However there's little reason for you to be thoroughly confused; that advice that was offered to someone thinking of taking a rather tardy bus that would, even in ordinary times, be a bit tight for their flight's departure.

My advice would be to stick to your original plan. Yes, there may indeed be some delays if the repairs aren't fininshed yet, particularly if the additional hydrofoils don't persuade enough people off the roads to reduce the vehicle traffic much, however it's mid-March we're discussing here - not August!

And unless you're in a big hurry, or have an unmissable deadline, then the Curreri bus is still likely to be much more convenient than either of the Alibus/hydrofoil or Alibus/Circumvesuviana alternatives. Not only does it free you from hauling luggage around, but also, while Curreri quote a 75 minute journey time, it can easily taken an hour from getting on the Alibus to being aboard the hydrofoil, and then another 40/50 minutes for the crossing - after which you arrive at the port and still have to get up from down at the harbour....

No promises, but that's what I'd recommend!

Peter