We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

My husband and I will be in Sorrento for three days (having come from Capri) and are looking for the fastest way to get to Salerno to pick up a rental car to drive to Calabria. Our date to leave Sorrento is Thursday, 3 June. After reading elsewhere on this site, It will be over 3 hours by bus. Since we would like to visit Paestum that day on our way to Amantea, I would like to see if there are faster options. Is Salerno the best place to pick up a car? We will be heading to Tropea after Amantea, and plan to drop off the car at Lamezia airport before flying to Rome for the last 4 days of our trip. FYI, the reason we are driving in the first place is that I am visiting my grandfather's village near Amantea, and we need the flexibility of a car. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

There are offices of all the major rental companies in Sorrento, so I suggest you pick up the rental car there. It would be much easier than picking up in Salerno.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

If you pick up a car in Sorrento, watch those curves on the way to Salerno!

I loved driving it, but I didn't get to see that much....had to watch the road.

Spectacular scenery!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

The easiest and quickest way of getting from Sorrento to Salerno by road is to head towards Naples and then take the autostrada southwards.

Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

Thank you so much for your advice. My concern with picking up the car in Sorrento was driving the Amalfi Coast, however, your suggestion to avoid it by going towards Naples and then the autostrada is great. Thanks again!

5. Re: Best way to get from Sorrento to Salerno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 05:20