We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

Manchester
2 posts
Save Topic
Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

I am getting nervous about travelling as I have been unable to see

my dentist, because he has been stuck in Dubai due to the recent

travel problems. I am worried in case I get a mouth abcess so...I would be grateful if anyone could let me know...someone mentioned that in Italy antibiotics are available at the pharmacies

but I dont know if this is true.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
130 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

No...a prescription is needed. A farmacia in Italy dispenses natural products...no "drugs". I'd contact another dentist if yours is unavailable...or arrange for your dentist or his nurse (if permitted in England) to call in your new presciption to the drugist/pharmacy you obtain your prescription from. Hope this helps.

Edited: 30 April 2010, 19:16
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

A few years ago in Amalfi, my wife was able to obtain antibiotics at a pharmacy without a prescription...

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

andiamo is misinformed. A farmacia dispenses all the usual prescription and non-prescription drugs.

Pharmacists are allowed to dispense prescription drugs for short-term use without a prescription. Some pharmacists will give you the antibiotics without a prescription if you describe your problem. Others will tell you to get a prescription from a local doctor, whom they will suggest.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

You normally need a prescription for an antibiotic or other prescription medication (which in Italy means most medications). There is a fairly recent law that allows pharmacies to give emergency supplies of a medicine without a prescription. It may depend on the pharmacist, but in theory this should be a medication that you have had a prescription for. If you tell the pharmacist what the medicine is, and that you've run out or lost your supply, they will likely give it to you. However, if you just say, "I have an abscess, what do you recommend?", you will probably be told you need to see a doctor. Where the line is drawn would depend on the judgment of the pharmacist.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

When my daughter needed antibiotics for an infection in Sorrento a couple of years ago, the hotel directed us to the pharmacy and the pharmacist looked at her for about 30 seconds and went behind the counter himself to get the antibiotics for her - then rang it up himself! (It was actually the pharmacy in Sant Agat su due golfe - or what's the exact name of that town - as we were staying in the hills above Sorrento.) We were very impressed and learned later that the WHO ranks Italy #2 for the efficiency of delivery of health care - here's one reason why.

Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

many thanks to you kind people for taking the time to reply to my query,

I am very grateful for all your help. melanie

7. Re: Can I buy antibiotics without a prescription

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 04:16