We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

I will be visiting the Sorrento/Amalfi Coast area starting June 27. We are staying four nights and have nearly four days to explore the area. Does anyone have any suggestions about what the best base is--Sorrento or one of the Amalfi Coast towns? We would like to go to Capri and Pompeii at a mimimum and visit some of the towns on the south shore.

I've heard that Sorrento is the better base for a short time period because it's near the train and the ferries to Capri. If we chose Sorrento, is it convenient to stay somewhere outside of town, such as Massalubrense or Nerano or will that involve some major traveling?

IOM
Level Contributor
305 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

For me Sorrento would be the best place. Positano and Amalfi are rather remote by comparison, and if you are looking at travelling around the area you will do a lot more travelling (taking a lot more time) if you were to stay in either of those places. Again with Massa, you have to get to the port or train station before you start your day, which is going to eat into your time.

Sorrento has some great hotels to fit most budgets, and some really good restaurants too. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 12 May 2010, 11:51
England
Level Contributor
210 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

I agree that sorrento has the best transport links for your plans particularly with the problems of the MdM ferries at the moment.

It also has a great choice of hotels etc and some great people watching to be done!!

C

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Ditto, I agree Sorrento would be your best place if looking for easy access to transportation. However, I do prefer staying at Praiano and using it as a base.

Do some research and you will feel better about your decisions.

EM.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Stayingn in Positano the nearest Amalfi coast city increases your daily travel time to Bay of Naples attractions by 30 min one-way.

" If we chose Sorrento, is it convenient to stay somewhere outside of town, such as Massalubrense or Nerano or will that involve some major traveling?"

It is only comvenient to stay in these places if you rent a car. There is limited parking in Sorrento for you to take the ferry. You coud drive to Pompeii and Herculaneum because they have parking lots.

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Thank you everyone for your really helpful comments--it's nice to have such unanimous confirmation!

Of course, I would prefer to stay in a home or villa overlooking the water rather than a hotel, but that's not as easy to find. I am usually quite successful at finding homes to rent in foreign countries, but I am finding it difficult in Italy. Has anyone ever stayed in a villa or apartment in Sorrento they've been happy with? We are 7 people, or possibly just 3.

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Hi Elleng,

check out www.ownersdirect.co.uk

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Things may have changed, but when I looked into renting an apt in Sorrento in 2007, a lot of them wanted a Sat to Sat stay. I ended up staying at a B&B instead to accomodate my travel schedule. I have stayed in Apts when I have visited Rome and Florence.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
774 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

I do not like Sorrento at all. I have been 2 times and will not return. It was like going to a motorcross track. Vespas with no regard for anyone ruined it for me.

the Amalfi is fabulous. Do explore all the little towns. Positano makes for a good base to see the area. I have driven the Amalfi and did fine.

Frigiliana, Spain
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Has anyone ever stayed in a villa or apartment in Sorrento they've been happy with? We are 7 people, or possibly just 3.

---------------------

if its only 3 we are staying at the below link next week. its actually 2,2 bedroomed apartments rather than a B&B one of the apartments has a terrace.no sea views though

www.sorrentobedbreakfast.com/?page_id=2

Sudbury, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Sorrento vs. the Amalfi Coast

Thank you jetsetter for your honest feedback! I have heard that Sorrento is charming, but my gut tells me that staying on the Amalfi coast side of the peninsula will be a better experience. And yet, we will still probably stay in Sorrento, but a bit outside of the center at Villa Oriana Relais. It looks like it may be quieter there. Anyone have any experience at this place? It is very frustrating trying to find a place to rent that has a view and enough bedrooms, so we are just going to bite the bullet and stay at a a B&B!