We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
158 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Ok well I will warn you now that this will probably be a long post! I know that I found reading the forum helpful when planning our wedding etc so want to give as much info as I can especially about using Thomson weddings. This was my third visit to Sorrento and definitely the best one!

FRIDAY

We landed at Naples amongst grey skies and I was quite sad that my friends/family that hadn't been before didn't get the fabulous blue skies and sea views on the transfer into Sorrento. Arrived at The Flora and were given a room at the back, exactly 2 floors up from our room last year :o) Therefore we had a fabulous view of the bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius. We went to dinner and was thrilled to see all the same waiters as last year. Not sure if they remembered us though lol

SATURDAY

We woke to that stunning view and glorious sunshine. After a yummy breakfast the rest of our group went off to the welcome meeting with Stacey the Thomson rep whilst we met with Rosaria our wedding co-ordinator. Rosaria was an absolute star and brought pictures of everything to give us a better idea of what we were having. She also explained how the day would go and that everything was all organised which put my mind at rest.

Afterwards we headed into town and went for lunch at Davides - big mistake! I totally forgot that all the Thomson walkabouts were on that morning and that they visit Davides for an icecream. Therefore I had to sit and eat my Caprese salad surrounded by queues of Bristish holidaymakers. It was really claustrophobic and was quite glad to leave, my own silly fault though!

At 1pm we headed to the Fauno Bar for the TA meet-up. Ellie spotted me first so we went and got a table and tried to spot the others. Sadly no-one else managed to come along (more on that later) but we still had a good chat and took a couple of pics

In the evening we used the Fauno Bar again to meet up with the whole wedding party (apart from my gran) and had such fun. You pay a little extra at the Fauno Bar for drinks but the sizes are massive plus you get 'extras' - biscuits, nuts & olives. I think it has become my favourite place in Sorrento and a great place to meet up and people watch! Forgot to say that we ate at La Lanterna prior to going to the Fauno Bar - great as always!

SUNDAY

6 of us decided to try the Big Red Bus tour which departs from the train station. It cost 12 euros each and lasted approx 90 minutes. We went right round the Sorrento pennisula and had great views along the way. I really enjoyed it and quite liked being a total tourist lol

MONDAY

We spent the day just pottering round town as we didn't want to do too much before the big day. Found a wonderful little shop that sold the cutest little tunic dresses and the shop assistant was brilliant getting all the different sizes and colours out for me to try. Ended up getting 2 dresses and a pair of shoes :o)

In the evening us young un's met up at the Fauno Bar and then headed to Cafe Latino which my friends had discovered the night before. Its a lovely bar situated in a garden filled with lemon & orange trees and was the first of many visits throughout the week!

TUESDAY - WEDDING DAY

After breakfast my h2b went down to his mums room to get ready and my friends came round to help me get ready. My mum had arranged for the maids to leave cleaning our rooms until we had left for the wedding which helped. My flowers arrived and were swiftly delivered to our room. I was shocked at how stunning they were! A massive bouquet of roses that was included in the Thomson wedding package (would of cost a fortune over here!) and a matching buttonhole. I also ordered an extra buttonhole for my dad and corsages for all the ladies. I sat on a chair on the balcony whilst my friend did my hair, overlooking the Bay of Naples, sipping Prosecco & listening to Pink Martini & Goldfrapp. It was a perfect moment!

At 11.20 the minibus arrived to take everyone to the Cloisters. My dad then came into my room and we stood out on the balcony and waited nervously for the wedding car to arrive. At 11.45 my car was ready so off I tottered downstairs. As we drove to the Cloisters it started to spot with rain and my heart sank. I imagined all the guests getting wet and my hair going super frizzy! Little did I know that Rosaria was busy inside rearranging the furniture and moving the whole thing under the beautiful arches to avoid the rain. She also designated one of my friends as 'official photographer' as we hadn't booked one which I thought was sweet. She came out to the car and said your trip advisor friends from America are here - I was so touched that Tripp & his wife had remembered and had come along to see us. I also spotted Ellie outside and gave her a wave. Rosaria then came out and said they were ready to start. As it turned out having the wedding under the arches meant that I had a longer walk in and had more of the beautiful harpist playing :o) It was a little daunting however walking through all the tourists that had come in for a gawp and I did find that a bit hard. Once I was at the end though I was so caught up in the moment I didnt really notice all the strange faces. The ceremony went in whirl....Rosaria translated for us and afterwards we had lots of pictures taken in the main courtyard as the sun had come out once again. From there we went to the terrace to have more pictures taken and Rosaria wished us well and left us to it. Again it was very busy on the terrace and a bit difficult to dodge the masses but we managed. I did feel a little bit like a movie star being papped by everyone lol

We then went to the Foreigners Club for canapes and drinks and they had set up a table for us under some canopies. Sadly the wind picked up and everything was blowing off the table and one of the brollies broke which could of been really dangerous. The waiters swiftly moved us to another area that was more sheltered and got ready to eat. We paid a little extra to have a few more nibbles/canapes and there was a huge table full of food. It really was delicious and even my gran (who is a fussy eater) enjoyed it! They kept our glasses topped up and looked after us really well. We then headed back to the hotel to crash out and get changed and in the evening we headed to Parruchiano for a meal. We had a magical evening and Nicola the waiter made a real fuss of us, the food was splendid and the prosecco that Rosaria had organised for us was a lovely touch. From there we headed to Cafe Latino until we could drink no more and were all tired out ;o)

WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY

Did the Amalfi Drive for the first time on Weds and loved it. The boat trip from Amalfi provided the best view for sure!

Hubby and a few others did Capri on Thursday whilst I spent the day shopping with my mum. We ate icecream, drank cappucinos and then went on the Sorrento Fun bus which was an absolute scream. I definitely recommend doing this and wish I had done it after the wedding in my dress hehehe It starts in Tasso Square and lasts about 50 minutes.....thats all I will say as I won't spoil the surprise ;o)

Anyway that's enough I think....sorry for such an epic posting. Please feel free to ask any specific questions about Thomson Weddings etc - all I can say is that they were first class throughout and I wouldnt hesitate in recommending them. We even had a little card and some flowers from Stacey the hotel rep and also a card from the guys from the branch in Cheltenham where I booked it. Will be going back again next year for our 1st anniversary :o)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Thanks Kate!

Love the sense of "Well, we did it!" in that happy shot taken under the tree!

Peter

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
158 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Thanks Peter - yes thats my favourite picture too :o)

Got the UK reception party tonight, all Italian themed so will be transported back to Sorrento for a few hours ......

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Hi Kate

I really enjoyed reading your report, your photos are great. I'll PM you to email the ones I took. Sounds like your meal at O'Parruchiano was good, I wondered how you were all enjoying the rest of your day later on. It was so lovely to meet you and Darren and then to be able to see your wedding. There were quite a few tourists having a gawp but they were coming and going. A Thomsons rep brought people in and were talking loudly, a "look" from me made them pipe down!

Were you able to bring your flowers home? They were lovely.

Just got home last night (really not amused), luckily it is really hot here, long may it last:)

Hope you have a great time at your reception tonight.

Ellie

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
158 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Thanks Ellie and thanks for your pictures - have added a few more to the photobucket album including the one of us at the Fauno Bar :o)

My mother-in-law brought some of the flowers home for me, it was just so heavy with everything else in my hand luggage lol

Have sent you an email xx

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Great to see your photos - you look lovely and so happy.

Also nice to put a face to a name - inc. Ellie.

Sorry we were too lazy and missed the meet up at Fauno Bar.

Very good trip report.

Congratulations.

NBB / Sue.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Great to see more photos Kate, the black and white ones are lovely. Sounds like your reception was good fun too.

Maybe next time Sue. Not long till your next trip, when do you fly?

Ellie

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

I loved the black and white ones too - took a while for me to get to them. (Am rubbish at Facebook - are myself and hubby the only people on the Planet not to have a page?)

Ellie, we fly on 31st May (and your hair can no way be described as frizzy in the Fauno Bar pic btw!)

Looking forward to it a lot - list already has ticks!

Sue.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Lol! That was day one. I must buy a hat for next time.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
158 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Glad you liked the pics guys :o)

Maybe next time Sue.....ahhh the Fauno Bar is calling me!

Kate xx

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Trip & Wedding Report - 7th - 14th May 2010 (inc Thomsons!)

Great photos, looked like you had a brilliant day, congratulations again x