We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep an eye on this vendor

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
891 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Keep an eye on this vendor

I just got back from 11 terrific days in Sorrento. The only blemish was dealing with one particular market owner. His shop is on the corner between Ristorante San Antonio's and Da GiGino's. He comes across as a really pleasant and helpful merchant. But be very alert when he starts to ring up your order. We stopped in one evening to pick up some deli meats, cheeses, olives and bread for the next day. He wrapped everything up, went to the register and rang up at least 13 euros too much. He has very fast hands on that cash register. I didn't catch it until we unpacked the groceries.

There are two other markets we subsequently used. One is about half a block past the Fauno Bar on the left. Nice people and very good prices. The other can be found by walking past the Cloisters, parallelling the coastline. Keep looking left and you'll see it. Great wine choices too. It is very close to the Bar Buffalito (awesome - review to come).

Buyer beware.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
158 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep an eye on this vendor

Glad you got back ok Tripp :o)

Was so lovely to meet you guys the other week and sorry I didnt get more of a chance to chat to you with all the wedding stuff going on.

Are you going to post a trip report at all?

Kate x

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep an eye on this vendor

I got stung by that shop once years ago, looks like he's still playing that game. I have not been back since.

Will look forward to hearing more about your time in Sorrento, hope you and Claudia enjoyed the rest of your time there and in Positano.

Ellie

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
891 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep an eye on this vendor

We are organizing our thoughts about the trip report now. We did keep a daily diary so we wouldn't forget details (mostly where and what we ate;-). Look for the trip report soon.

I was glad we had a chance to meet, although briefly. Hope all is well.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep an eye on this vendor

We too have recently been in Sorrento, self catering, and stopped off at the same shop. We bought bread, ham and tomatoes to prepare a "cheap" lunch and paid about 8 euros. We thought it was a bit expensive so didn't go back there, so may be we were ripped off too!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep an eye on this vendor

We regularly use the one across the road from Standa Supermarket which has a good selection of wines, deli counter etc. Nice people and we have never been overcharged there.

We also use Standa deli counter which has a great choice and you can see exactly what you are paying for and the quality is very good.

Are here at the moment so thanks for the tip though Trip. Will avoid that deli.

NBB.

6. Re: Keep an eye on this vendor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:17