We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

bristol UK
Level Contributor
761 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

Not new to TA ; we have been to Turkey a lot but considering Sorrento for our Pearl anniversary this year.

Looking at the Admiral hotel which has good reviews and seems to be in a fabulous location. Also we like to be away from traffic noise (a real no no!)

I know weather cannot be predicted but looking at late September early October (there is a £500 difference between wk beginnig 24th september and wk beginning 8th october!) Is the weather okish at this time-not worried about sunbathing etc, but would like to go out and about on boat trips Pompey etc (and have some nice blue skies :-)

Also we would like to upgrade to seaview room as thompson website is for partial sea view, has anyone experience of requesting this/

Thanks for your time would appreciate any advice as hoping to book fairly soon

Best wishes TravellingTaff

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

You would certainly be away from traffic noise at the Admiral. It is down by the old harbour which is a very peaceful place. I don't know how nice the weather would be in October and how much difference that would make to your view of things. It is down a steep hill or steps to Marina Grande so quite a climb to get to the centre. I am sure the experts on here will tell you about the weather and give you more information.

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

Have been visiting for 30 years and it is the time of year that we choose for one of our visits. Up until last year I would have said that early to mid October was a lovely time to go, warm during the day and cool enough in the evening to need a light jacket. Ideal for visiting the sights. The weather usually seems to turn towards the end of the month.

Last Oct the days were ok but needed to buy a scarf and gloves to wear in the evening and put the heating on in the apartment we rented! Just hope it was a blip because we will be there at the same time this year.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 01:04
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

As you probably know the Admiral Hotel is situated in the small working fishing harbour (Marina Grande). It is a lovely local area away from the hustle and bustle of the main town. No, no real traffic noise but buses do run down there as it is a steep walk up into town which is where you will need to get to for the transport links for your sightseeing - bus, train, ferry etc. We have been many times end of September and beginning, mid and end of October and (touch wood) have always been lucky with the weather and had sun and blue skies. (Take a brolly though as there could be a good chance of rain and possibly thunderstorms).

Personally would go for a seaview room - maybe e-mail the hotel directly and ask them what is the supplement and pay them the additional cost for the upgrade? Nice sunsets.

In October the season is winding down as most hotels close at the end of the month for the Winter so that locals can take their well earned holidays - all facilities are up and running though and everywhere in town is open.

Nice time of year to go.

Happy Anniversary!

NBB.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 06:21
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,226 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

My daughter loved staying at the Admiral, the evenings down on the Marina Grande were great, and she has spent many holidays in Sorrento,

bristol UK
Level Contributor
761 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

thanks to all of you; will let you know my progress and prob ask a few more questions!

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

Hallo TT

Don't know this hotel, do know that is is on the harbour opposite the ferry boats and ticket office. Regular buses take the pain out of a "mountain climb" up to the main square, Piazza Tasso. You can very easily get to both Pompei ahd Herculaneum by train, the station is about 800 yards down the main street opposite where you will emerge on to the square, having crossed square turn left. Also along the way there are a couple of super markets where you can buy ingredients for lunch on the hoof, although there is a cafe on the Pompei site.

Take a trip to Capri, the boat is on your doorstep, not sure about cost now, takes about 45 mins.

Take a coastal road trip round to Amalfi, coach station is just outside rail station, again, not sure of cost - but all transport except taxis is very reasonable. You can take a boat trip for the return and be delivered to your front door!

Coach to Rome will be around 3 hours each way, same to Naples, about 2 hours, unless there has been a football match, in which case it can take for ever.

Have fun! Let me know if you have other queries, will do my best.

bristol UK
Level Contributor
761 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

hi have booked a week at the Admiral (15th October) although nearly bottled out after a couple of recent bad reviews!

Thanks for all the help so far and expect a few more questions over the next couple of months :-)

8. Re: Hi; newbie with a few questions..........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 05:16