We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

Does Sorrento's post office offer FX exchange at good rates?

Anybody have recommendations on banks or other places to go to to change currency?

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

Don't exchange currency. You get the best rate by taking a debit card and getting money out of ATMs. Italian banks do not charge for the use of their ATMs, so all charges come from your bank.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

Have to agree.

Take plenty of Euros (keeping them close while travelling then stash in your room safe on arrival) and then use ATM's (several of these in town) for top ups. We never exchange currency or indeed take Travellers Cheques (which are becoming obsolete) to Italy.

Just about everywhere accepts credit / debit cards although some smaller places don't so check before you go in.

Also suggest you advise your Bank that you are travelling and expecting to use cards overseas.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 06:30
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

I agree with whats already been said. I did notice on the boards outside the exchange places that the rate they offer compared to home was quite a big difference, theirs was much less. That was for pounds but I'd imagine it would be the same situation for other currencies.

Take money with you, seeking out the best rate at home, and take oney from ATM's if and when necessary, thats what I've done for years.

Take a note of your bank phone number with you incase of any problems while you're away.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

Follow all the advice above. Additionally, go to the website for your ATM card and look for the locations section. You can input you hotel address and the website will give you the nearest ATMs that accept your card.

I already have my Sorrento ATM map printed out.

I went to my little local bank and got some EUROs from them to tide me over for the first day or two in Italy.

DO NOT exchange cash for euros; you'll get a terrible exchange rate.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

nancycinti:

You will find you can use your card in any bank's ATM. No need to worry about finding the "right" bank.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

Sydneynick, I had problems once in Barcelona where my card was not accepted. This was after using it in a number of other places in Europe.

Also, its just handy to know where the ATMs are located so I don't have to look for one.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

I guess my experience is different. I have never found an ATM anywhere that would not take my Visa debit card.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

I think it can happen that the odd machine won't take your card for some reason - I remember that happened to us once in Pompeii even though we'd used that same card in numerous other places in Italy and beyond on that trip. We just walked down the street and used it fine in the next one....

DO remember to call your credit card company before you leave and tell them where you will be so that they don't put a stop on your card when they get an international usage - that would definitely stop the ATm spitting out cash to you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

We've been here in Campania for 7 years now and in that time I've frequently had to drag holders of both US and UK-issued cards around to find an ATM that would work for them.

However it's my impression that successive bank mergers mean there's less chance today of stumbling on a local institution that doesn't work with both the big card chains - but even so it might help to do a little preparation before you travel....

Locator for the VISA and PLUS group:

…infonow.net/locator/…

And for the MasterCard, Maestro, Cirrus ATM circuit....

mastercard.com/us/…index.html

Peter

10. Re: Recommended FX exchange places...post office?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 06:18