We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but can the 3 day Artecard be purchased in Sorrento? I have been on Artecard site and in the “Where to buy” section it states that it can be purchased “in the museums and archaeological sites of artecard circuit”. The only museum situated in Sorrento which is listed on the site is Museo Correale di Terranova but its in the “reduction/facility” section and I am not sure if it counts.

Thanks

Alan

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

In the past we've certainly bought Artecards from outlets not listed on their website - at a travel agent in Pozzuoli, several times, for one - but I've a suspicion that these days the margins are so slim they've had to drop the 3rd party vendors.

I tried phoning, but of course the Coral Museum shuts at 2pm local time, and I gave up waiting after 5 minutes on hold at the Artecard - they have English-speaking operators, so try for yourself.... +39 06 39 96 76 50

Otherwise, now that the kiosk they used to have at the airport has been closed for a while, unless you're passing through Naples railway station perhaps, you may have to wait till you get to your first site to buy one!

Peter

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Peter

Thanks for your help. I had searched previous posts on the forum and some said you could and some said you couldn’t. My wife and I are flying into Naples tomorrow evening and then being transferred to Sorrento by coach. As you cannot buy the card at the airport, I thought we could simply pick one up at Sorrento. As you say, it looks like we will have to go to the first attraction to buy one (which of course means forking out for public transport to get there which would have been free if we could have bought the card in Sorrento in the first place). Brilliant planning.....not!

Anyway, I wasn’t intending on using it until the Sunday anyway, so I’ll have time in Sorrento on Saturday to see what the score is. Maybe give the museum a call as well. Thanks again.

Cheers

Alan

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Let me save you some money then...

Once here you can call the Artecard's freephone number - 800 600 601 - to ask about places for buying them, like I did!

Wait long enough and "Talk to an English-speaking operator" is one of the call system's options.

Trust you'll have a wonderful time, the weather is now gorgeous! We spent much of yesterday doing Naples by open-top bus and it couldn't have been lovelier.

Peter

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Peter

You are a star. I've made a note of the number and I’ll give them a call. I have also pinged them an email (in my best broken Italian) so maybe that will bear fruit.

Really looking forward to our visit.

Alan

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Hope you find a place to buy them!

Probably don't need these, but if considering which other Artecard visits to make....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

When we were there in May we bought the 3 day Artecard from the little newsagent at the train station in Sorrento where you get the bus tickets from. Of course this may have changed since then, but you may have time to check before you need it.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Sue - in that case it very probably still is.... the retrenchment I'd had in mind took place longer ago than that!

Peter

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Sue & Peter

Thanks for your help.

Alan

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

hi

I can confirm that seemingly the only place you can buy it is at the shop at the rail station - we were there in June and assumed the Tourist Info place would have it but they didn't.

It is very good value - we did Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples Archeaological Museum, Naples Castell Nueuvo (50% discount) plus all transport for 3 days - very tiring though to concentrate it all into 3 days and you do get tired of the train!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can the Artecard be purchased in Sorrento?

Just a note to add that some versions of the Artecard would also get you a 50% reduction at Sorrento's Museo Correale di Terranova - which isn't (as I'd assumed for some time) dedicated to coral carving - like the one in Torre del Greco - but the town museum, housed in a building left to the municipality by two noble brothers of that name.

More here...

sorrentoinfo.com/en/3/1/136/category/article…

turismoregionecampania.it/en/…

As far as I know this doesn't count as one of the free entries - and should work for any of the card's various versions, as long as it's currently valid...

Peter

PS - there doesn't seem to be a facility to have the card mailed to you at home, and presumably it can't be down at this Museum.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 15:29
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento
Recent Conversations