We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Sorrento?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Sorrento?

I am overwhelmed by the number of hotels in the Sorrento area, and would love some help.

We will be in Sorrento for 1 night in Feb, arriving on the SITA bus from Salerno and will be leaving from the train station the next day, heading for Pompei.

Actually it's the comuter train, so I'm assuming it leaves from the main train station.

WE would like to stay close to the station, and would love a room with a view. Is this even possible?

Our price range is approx. $100 to $130.

Any suggestions would be great.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

Well, you won't get much of a view at the station. Not even sure there are hotels in that neighborhood. Closer to the center of town, not too close to station, not much view.

Il Nido, Sorrento has a magnificent view across the bay to Vesuvius, and has a free shuttle that will pick you up from the station, and deliver you to it the next day. Wonderful breakfast as well.

Don't confuse it with Il Nido Amalfi. Different place.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

One night in February , I would not worry too much about views, in February a lot Hotel's will not even be open,

There is only one Station in Sorrento, there are several Hotels in the area,

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

I returned from Sorrento 2 weeks ago and stayed at Hotel Nice around 2 mins walk from the station and 5 min from the main square, only a 1 star hotel but clean and comfortable in an ideal location, and great price too.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

I'll go along with jessybobs - if you are only there for one night, the Hotel Nice will be perfect. Ask for a room at the front with a balcony ... it's not a bad view:

…google.com/hey.chris49/…5537655160369442610

…google.com/hey.chris49/…5537655141518206498

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

For only one night I agree that you'd be best to stay in the centre of town. For that price getting a room with a view might be pushing it but La Meridiana might fit the bill. Its a 3 star hotel, set back from the sea but they do have some sea vew rooms. Its only a 5 minute walk to the station.

A great hotel that is close to the station (the rear facing rooms look over the railway line) is the Michelangelo. Its a 4 star hotel, I've stayed there many times. Normally I'd say that is outwith budget but in Feb it might be worth checking.

Other hotels close to the station which shuld be in budget are the Hotel Sorrento City, Palazzo Abagnale, Hotel Villa di Sorrento (Piazza Tasso).

Ellie

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

Sorrento even in the winter is a pricey place. at current exchange rates this is only 71-93 euro per night whihc is the bargain range. We styed at La Magnolia in 2007 in Feb for 90 euro a night it was convneint to the train station. in this price range you are not goign to be going to get a view.

La Magnolia is th blue flag on this google Map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Edited: 11 November 2010, 15:12
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

For the record the Il Nido is showing rates of 100 euros for a double room, which includes a lavish breakfast and shuttle service to the station.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

Really for 1 night il Nido is really out of town would not think a good idea,

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

It meets all the OP's requirements. It has a view, includes breakfast, is in the price range. Being out of town is hardly an issue as there is the free shuttle that runs all morning.

Having stayed there before, I would gladly do it again as opposed to dragging my suitcases along the street to the station.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 18:12
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Sorrento?

I'm with sophie.

When I stay at someplace for one night, being close to the station is more important thant the view from a hotel at a distant location.

But that's good info for the OP. they can take this inot account and decide for themselves where they want to stay.

Il Nido is the blue heilcopter marker on the googel map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Train station is the blue trolley on it's side marker.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 18:52