We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Hi all. I've been reading loads and really appreciate all the comments but in so doing I've got in a bit of a muddle and can't decide the best itinerary!! So help please!! Currently we arrive Naples airport on Wed 4th Mayand have arranged car to take us to Amilfi where we stop 3nights.

Day 1 Spend rest of day around Amalfi

Day 2 Walk to Revello and possibly Minori

Day 3 Ferry to Positano - possibly?? or something else??

Day 4 In Amalfi until late lunch then bus to Sorrento to book into hotel.

Day 5 is a Sunday. Will Capri be very busy? Is Pompeii the same problem? Should we stay in Sorrento and walk somewhere local?

Day 6 Capri or Pompeii

Day 7 Capri or Pompeii

Day 8 We fly out in afternoon so final look around Sorrento and then either train or bus to airport.

Or we could do Positano from Sorrento and use the extra day in Amalfi on something else????!!!!

I know it reads a bit pathetic - never can make my mind up. You should see me trying to decide what to eat!! It can take all day!

Any help/comments will be gratefully received.

Best wishes to all

Gareth

Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Hi Gareth,

Your itinerary sounds good to me. I wouldn't walk to Ravello from Amalfi, but probably you are a lot younger and fitter than me. Ravello is high on the the cliffs above Amalfi. We have twice taken the small bus up to Ravello and walked down to Atrani, which is just around the corner from Amalfi. I think you could probably also walk down to Minori . The views from both gardens in Ravello and on the walk down are stunning!

In Sorrento, after wandering around the little lanes, we enjoyed our walk down to Marina Grande for lunch. Another lovely downhill walk is from Sant' Agata to Sorrento (bus up to Sant' Agata).

I'm sure you will have a lovely time. It's such a beautiful area and you have chosen lots of lovely places to visit.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Or catch the daily morning hydrofoil from Sorrento, and have a day on the island of Ischia...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

It's nice here in May... http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mayisch

No stunning sights to compare with Pompei and the like, but here are a few of the things you might enjoy...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscstars

Peter

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Thanks for these comments. Should we do Positano from Sorrento or Amalfi? Is Sunday a bad day to visit Pompeii or Capri ie is it even busier at weekends?

Another question if I may?! Nearly all references to food other than pizza suggests that you are expected to eat 2 - 3 courses whereas we tend to eat pasta as a main course for example without a starter and would not normally have a pud (just an icecream) We've managed that in Florence and Rome etc partly because we don't eat loads and also to save money. Is it that different in Amalfi?

Thanks

gareth

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

I don't know anywhere in Italy ,you are expected to go through the card, in ordinary tourist based Restaurants,

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Depends on the restaurant - and the dish you choose - perhaps, but often the sauce with the pasta isn't as substantial as in England, more just something to help get the carbohydrate down... in the same way that my maternal grandmother used to serve batter pudding with gravy - and follow that by the meat and vegetable course.

Peter

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

We don't have huge appetites and more often than not only have one course with wine and water. Sometimes squeeze in a pudding but mostly just wander to our favourite gelateria a little while later. We never have any problems ordering just one or two courses in Italy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
85 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

We spent 2 hrs in Positano last Friday and had it all to ourselves having arrived around 9am. Found a nice ceramics store and even walked to this other beach where we were the only ones. Alot of places were being painted and cleaned up for summer which was fine by us! Afterward we took bus to Amalfi and connected right away for the ride up to Ravello.

Ravello is amazing! Again, we had this lil town all to ourselves but DO NOT WALK UP! We walked down and it was very difficult. I couldn't imagine going up + we found the trail closed and had to backtrack up and walk the road between Adtrani to Amalfi which wasn't that bad. I wish they would have put up signs.

Amalfi was crazy busy, we spent like 30 min there and left. the bus is longer directly back to Sorrento and sucked. I was dizzy upon arrival :(

Edited: 01 April 2011, 18:27
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

Most of your questions answered I think so here's my brief input!

Bus to Ravello from Amalfi.

Do Positano from Amalfi one day.

Pompeii on a Sunday.

Capri is ALWAYS heaving - you may as well go on a day when the shops are open though!

Make sure you allow yourselves time to explore Sorrento, including the old lanes and Marina Grande - the small working local fishing harbour for local colour.

No worries about the food and having to do a full 3 courser. We regularly say, split a pasta starter then have a main, or just order a main or pasta course each, rarely dessert, have wine and water, sometimes a coffee. No problems. Prices usually posted outside.

Enjoy.

Edited: 02 April 2011, 08:10
9. Re: Another Itinerary Question please re Amalfi and Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:21