We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Review stats not accurate?

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
TA Review stats not accurate?

I've never paid any attention to this until now. I did reviews of Gelateria Primavera and Bougainvillea. My ratings for them were unique (eg, only 5 star for Primavera and only 3 star for Bougainvillea). The reviews posted some time ago, but no change in the stats or rankings.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

Can't imagine how many places are listed by the site overall, but it must be a huge number - so perhaps the recalculations only take place infrequently?

Was there a wait of a few days after you posted those, before they appeared - if so it's only been about a week?

Peter

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

Lots of different things are taken into account for the ratings. One review is not going to necessarily change a hotels position on TA. I believe it is quite a complex system they use. I have noticed that sometimes on a Tuesday evening when I check the hotels have changed places on the list if they are going to.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

See the following information from TA Help. They use an algorithm.

The TripAdvisor Popularity Index incorporates Traveler Ratings to determine traveler satisfaction. Emphasis is placed on the most recent information. We calculate the Popularity Index using an algorithm.

How do you know if a particular hotel is right for you? The room price may fit your budget, but are the rooms clean? Is the location safe? How is the service? TripAdvisor created the Popularity Index to help quickly answer questions like these and lead you to the best accommodation for your trip. Unlike other sites that simply rank a hotel by price or hotel class, our Popularity Index truly reflects what real travelers like you are saying.

TripAdvisor's Popularity Index is:

Pure: Completely organic. No paid results influence rankings.

Fresh: Constantly incorporates new information.

Global: Reflects reviews from around the world.

Unbiased: Based on the good and the bad!

Helpful tip: Throughout our site, hotel listings are, by default, presented in the order calculated by our Popularity Index. This ensures that you will always be looking at a fresh and unbiased view of the best hotels.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

That's as maybe, however for one of those two icecream places there were previously only 2 reviews - one in the 'Terrible' category, and one 'Poor' - and the effect of the OP's 5 blob entry hasn't yet registered.

Look for yourself, and you'll perhaps understand why they've asked!

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187782-d1…

Peter

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,886 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

No I agree it is not instant and sometimes it takes more than one good review to change the position and often more than twelve days as it has been for this review.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

Okay, so a lot of things are not clear about how T/A messages the data. And a lot of things are unclear about how or when new reviews get included in the ratings.

i happen to be a mathematician and if they want to show me any of the data or algorithms I will be glad to report back to the fellow travelers.

But the central point seems to be ( seems to me) does anyone have any suggestion for a better ( or as good) source of information and opinions about restaurants and accommodations? I do not.

I have raised this question several times and never got a good answer.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

Not only hasn't the OP's review affected the overall rating, to date it hasn't even been counted in the total?

But before discussing the merits of TA's system, or its algorithms, have a look here...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d733…

Peter

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

Brit, you do pose an interesting culinary philosophical question if an empty storefront rates an average rating. Given a few places I've eaten I agree it would be preferable to a place still in business. On the other hand, it is in the top 50% of places in London and its rank has increased since your review so I just may have to walk up there next week for lunch :-)

There is a way to tell TA that a place has closed but I can't remember where they've hidden it.

The key with there being a problem is that neither of my reviews have yet to be included in the tally of how many one, two, three, four, or five star reviews have been submitted for a restaurant, not the overall ranking (though I would expect the ranking of Primavera to increase somewhat.

TA touts that recent reviews are heavier weighted than older reviews. Clearly not. Perhaps once TA is spun off from Expedia later this year things will improve.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

The day I wrote that review, the restaurant had popped up in the News search I do for items related to Ischia - and it was mainly a nudge against some rather sloppy journalistic name-dropping:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1308900/Gareth-…

The mere addition of a second "Average" rating got the place up into the low 3000s for a while, though it has fallen back again now.

But I also wanted to see for myself the quality of TA's Review review procedures.... which I think I've done!

Peter

PS: Perhaps the "Report that this restaurant is closed" feature was too tempting, as it seems to have been removed?

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Review stats not accurate?

They must have found a couple of more Commodore 64's. The ratings on all three Gelato places appear to have updated. Interestingly though, the stats on numbers of ratings has not changed on two of them though has changed on Davide.