We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

We have had a fantastic holiday and a big thanks to all those who answered my questions.

This report will be in sections as I don't think I'll get it all down in one go.

We flew to Naples directly from Newcastle which was great. Flight was fine though pretty early in the morning. We flew with Thomsons and had booked our hotel throught them so had free transfers from the airport to the hotel. Transfer went smoothly though we did have a few drop offs before us. We were more or less the last drop off but it didn't really matter, we had all day anyway.

We stayed at the Hotel Antiche Mura just off Piazza Tasso. As far as location goes it is perfect, right in the centre of Sorrento. We were 2 minutes walk from the main Piazza Tasso with lots of bars, restaurants and the old Centro Storico. We were minutes from the train station and the bus station and a short walk away from the Marina from where you catch the ferry to Capri. The only minus point is that you don't have a view of the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvius, but you get that view everywhere else you go and we didn't spend that much time at the hotel so this suited us. I prefered being central than further away to get that view.

The room itself was fine, nothing special but clean (maids came in twice a day and changed your towels every time) and perfectly adequate. We had plenty of storage space for all the clothes I took with me!! The bed was comfortable, we had a TV in the room with a fair number of channels. The room had complimentary bedroom slippers, toiletries and a hairdryer. The hairdryer wasn't very powerful so it took a while to dry your hair. If you have really thick hair bring your own drier.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis - I don't like half board as I like to eat out at the many local restaurants. The breakfast was lovely - cereal, yoghurts, fruit juices, tea and coffee, breads and rolls, cheeses, hams, fruit salad made with fresh fruit and tinned, lots of fresh fruit too. There was cooked breakfast too but we never had that. There was a huge array of home made pastries that were lovely.

The hotel had a beautiful garden and the pool was in the garden amongst the lemon and orange trees. The pool itself wasn't huge so don't expect to be able to swim lengths but it wasn't tiny either. Lots of sun loungers and a bar out by the pool. You could have breakfast inside or outside - we did both depending on the weather.

Will continue later - Part 2 will be restaurants and Part 3 excursions

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

We stayed at the Antiche Mura, too, and really enjoyed it. Great location. Looking forward to more of your reports.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

No half board option at AM as they don't have an evening Restaurant.

Works for us though as everything on your doorstep.

Love that Hotel.

Thanks also Twirl for posting in the Trip Report section on TA all of your experiences. Acommodation, restaurants & trips.

Big help.

NBB.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

No that was one of the reasons we chose Antiche Mura as we prefer B&B, also location and the lovely pool.

Hope the trip reports help some others, as it's so much better when you hear from people who have actually been there

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

Twirl

Are you also able to have the time to post reviews in the Hotel and Restaurant tabs? They help boost ratings.

Thanks for all your info. Really helpful.

Sue.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 06:52
Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

Will look into it Sue, I can always copy and paste and thanks for your help prior to our holiday

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed reading it...I agree you should write a hotel review on Hotel Antiche Mura..

Newburgh England
Level Contributor
87 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

I have enjoyed reading your reports. Thank you. We are returning to Sorrento after visiting about 4 years ago. We have booked the Antiche Mura for 10 nights in July and really looking forward to it after reading all the positive comments. Did you go to the Foreigners Club? Just wondering if there is still dancing in the evening as last time we had just started taking lessons and enjoyed the chance for a dance after dinner!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

Hi Pindy

We only went to the foreigner's club once for a quick drink and to enjoy the view. Don't know about the dancing classes, sorry.

The hotel was lovely especially the pool area in amongst all the lemon and orange trees. The guy at the bar made a lovely cappucino for me in the afternoons, after we had been out all day (not that I'm addicted to my Italian coffee!!). Staff were lovely - at breakfast, reception and at the pool bar. Location wise it is excellent, right in the centre of things.

Enjoy your holiday

9. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Transfer and Hotel Antiche Mura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 07:16