We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wary of Naples Train Station?

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Wary of Naples Train Station?

My husband and I are travelling from Rome to Sorrento in mid July. We had planned to travel by train (Rome to Naples to Sorrento) but have heard a few worrying stories about Naples train station (pick pocketers, crime, etc). Is there another way or are the stories we are hearing false?? Our other option is to train it from Rome to Naples but then get a private transfer from Naples to our hotel in Sorrento.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

Try....

tripadvisor.com/…26574946

Peter

New Zealand
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

Hi Chancho

I did this trip last year in June, single female and had no problems.

The station has plenty of lighting and so long as you are well prepared, only a few Euro in your pocket and money belt on your body you should have no problems.

The regional train from Naples to Sorrento has a charme of its own and I met some great characters on the journey.

Just take sensible precautions i.e keep an eye on your bags, don't keep reaching for your money belt etc and you will be fine.

Enjoy the trip and enjoy the experiance.

Regards

Mitch

maine
Level Contributor
73 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

It was no worse then the subway in Boston or new York (if you've been)

I was solo and had no issue. Just be aware of your surrounds, pocket book tight under your arm, a money belt and don't leave luggage unattended.

Just common sense behavior for any large city.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 09:04
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,926 posts
602 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

The station itself is not particularly unsafe. I would be a little careful walking in the neighbourhood outiside the station, around Piazza Garibaldi, but if you have just to change a train I see no problems. The train Circumvesuviana is very pleasant, panoramic, and inexpensive. Even if pickpockets were more dangerous than they are in fact, I would prefer to "risk" to be pickpocketed than being sure to pay plenty of money for a private tranfer.

Camden, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

Agree with above - have been through station 4 - 5 times and not had worries as a solo traveller both on Trentialia or Circumvesuviana. Last time (last November) seemed to be more police present as well which felt good.

Same as precautions in any large train station.

Have fun on your trip!

Bombay
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

We passed by Napoli Centrale twice during our recent trip in May. We did not experience anything out of the ordinary at the station or in the city. It is a large, well lit, well provided for station full of travellers.

We did the same route as you, i.e. from Rome to Sorrento via Napoli- only, we also had plans to spend half a day in the city. We stored our bags at the station, collected maps, information and artecards from the tourist info point- everything signposted and normal. We went to the Museum of Archeology and afterwards wandered around in the old quarter, had an excellent pizza at the Sorbillo and then walked our way back to the station on Via Tribunali- a walk I recommend.

After spending 5 days in Campania, we returned to Napoli to catch our train to Florence and as we reached early, had to while away 2 hours there. We spent that time sitting on a bench- of which there are quite a few and reading and later chatting with a very pleasant local family who even offered us the snacks they were eating. Disappointingly, we did not see any criminal elements, whoever they may be.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

Naples train station is merely unpleasant and kind of weird. I have traveled though there many times and I have not been hurt or robbed. I travel with all my cash and credit cards in a money belt under my clothes. I do not let my luggage out of my possession for a second.

The last time I was there in May 2008 there were police officers everywhere.

edmonton canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

One easy way to avoid the Naples main station and the walk to the lower level for the Sorrento train is to take a Roma-Sorrento bus, with no changes! Takes about 3.5 hours and it's a lot cheaper than a train. Two bus lines, Curreri and Marozzi, have afternoon departures from Roma Tiburtina station to Sorrento.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,817 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

Together the bus only leaves 2-3 times a day in season. A lot less often than the train. Check the schedules and previous posts. The Buses leave fron the Tiburtina bus station, not Termini. if yuou are coming frton the airport you take the FR-1 to Tiburtina not the Leaonardo Express.

Bombay
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wary of Naples Train Station?

I find equally weird that sane, grown up people feel afraid of merely passing through a station to catch a very convenient connecting train- a station that is large, busy in terms of no. of trains and travellers, having cafes, shops, info points, signage, officials et al - not withstanding a few 'strange' characters or hangers on, some of whom must be pick-pockets- but surely you are wise enough not to keep your wallet in your back pocket, no?